Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Yes, my girls call them "Pokies". They just jump up and grab you. Our oldest dog, he runs to the edge of the property and comes hopping back, with pokies in his feet.
barnie.gif

Those are often referred to as goats-head, especially in New Mexico, sand spurs is the more common name in Texas. I have gotten out on the lot (pre-drought) with my helper, a propane torch, and a garden hose trying to burn the seed up in the fall. (this is the New Mexico treatment I observed). Next day, all the plants burned, the viable seed was sitting on the ground laughing at me. I don't know what my neighbors thought when I got out my shop vac, rigged for dry, and vacuumed up all the seeds I could find, the ground was just carpeted with them.

I tried the roundup (toxic) the next year, it bombed, and in July of 2009 I started digging, putting plant, seed and all in buckets and in the trash. Fort Worth's landfill must have a lot by now. THEN I learned the water cure, but it hasn't been viable with the drought.
But removing all the seed you can the first thing. I've dragged a throw-away blanket with a brick on it (around 2004 - 2005) etc.

Digging and removal of all plants and seeds remains the best solution I've found.

I was working in the garden yesterday digging out all the runner grass, seems like an everlasting job. I am going to look at my runnergrass w/ a whole new appreciation, at least it's not goatheads!!!!!! They grow in our area, but I don't have any in my yard.

r4eboxer - If you are worried about selling processed chickens, sell 'live' ones and offer to take them to the processor that you use. You can charge a fee to take them to the processor, and a fee to deiliver the finished bird. But all you did was sell a live, breathing, pooping bird. If you need, make a receipt that the customer signs that states, one live bird, delivery to processor, processor fee (EXACTLY the same as the processor fee you pay), and delivery fee.

Beat the feds at their own game...And don't be afraid to give em a finger pointed in the right direction too.

This is how we sell beef, err I mean cows. They are just really easy to move and don't poop as much when they end up at the front door of the customer.

r4eboxer - If you are worried about selling processed chickens, sell 'live' ones and offer to take them to the processor that you use. You can charge a fee to take them to the processor, and a fee to deiliver the finished bird. But all you did was sell a live, breathing, pooping bird. If you need, make a receipt that the customer signs that states, one live bird, delivery to processor, processor fee (EXACTLY the same as the processor fee you pay), and delivery fee.

Beat the feds at their own game...And don't be afraid to give em a finger pointed in the right direction too.

This is how we sell beef, err I mean cows. They are just really easy to move and don't poop as much when they end up at the front door of the customer.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

IMO she is a young chicken that hasn't established laying yet. Sometimes it takes them awhile to do this. Unless you do an exam and can actually feel an egg that is not passing I would not cull her. Especially since you say that she is eating and getting out okay. I would really want some oldtimers to pitch in on this. I DID read your thread.

I don't have to read the thread to answer: cull her. Just out of curiosity how would you propose to cure her?

IMO she is a young chicken that hasn't established laying yet. Sometimes it takes them awhile to do this. Unless you do an exam and can actually feel an egg that is not passing I would not cull her. Especially since you say that she is eating and getting out okay. I would really want some oldtimers to pitch in on this. I DID read your thread.

No offense to BWKatz, none whatsoever, but here we have a rather classic divide of perspective. This is also an example why few of the original OT come back to post or attempt to keep this thread alive. CluckyChook, could have asked this question on any of the forum threads here on BYC. You chose to ask it here in hopes of getting an OT's perspective. You did. There are few with more experience, training, knowledge and wisdom than NYReds. So, you can choose which of the divergent posts of advice to take. That is up to you.

BTW, I did read your thread and completely agree with NYReds, FWIW.

Last edited:
I've not posted here for awhile as Fred's prediction did come true...the thread has become clunky and impossible to keep true to intent. But I feel compelled to post for this question, as I'm sure Fred did.

I agree wholeheartedly with Fred and NYReds advice....and not just because they are OTs. Because it is the most wise course of action if you are serious about keeping chickens. The reason we do not "try to cure" a chicken with reproductive problems is that it rarely results in a good,consistent layer. Nine times out of ten that hen will have recurring problems of this nature and this creates an issue that doesn't really have to be an issue if you just cull this specimen from the first symptoms of this nature.

We don't give this advice because we are heartless, cold or approach our husbandry with only cost in mind...it is because it is the humane, sensible and most wise course of action for anyone who raises livestock of ANY kind. A cow that prolapses with calving is one that needs to be sent to the stock pens/butcher for hamburger....good chances are that she will prolapse again. Prolapse is painful and potentially fatal, requires vet care or home vet care, possibly meds, etc. These are all things that are just totally unnecessary when you just eliminate the problem before/when it starts.

When hoping to raise a thrifty, hardy and PROBLEM FREE flock, culling is a judicious way to accomplish this. Those who thrive on nursing sick and weak animals because they are fulfilling some inner need usually don't take into account that the animal suffers each and every time this malady resurfaces. The animal may also be passing that flaw to her offspring so that a whole new generation can have pain, discomfort and the resulting treatment~which is sometimes effective, sometimes is not.

KILL the chicken. Unless this is the only chicken you have and you depend on that one egg a day for your only subsistence and attempting to unclog the plumbing is the only thing between you and starvation~kill the chicken... and then eat her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom