Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a question. I have about 20 two month old chicks. They have beeb seperated from both my other coops by fencing so they have seen everyone for a month. Can I mix them in with my bantams and tophats now? I let them out today to run around with them and they are doing just fine so my only concern is can they eat the layer crumbles my 6 month old bantams eat?? If they all live in the same coop they will no longer get chick feed. Is this ok or a no go???

Im no OT but i can tell you by my experience. My 1 1/2 mont old chicks have been getting a mixture of chick/layer feed for about 2wks now.THEY LOVE IT! They eat the mix better than plain starter! They're feathering out alot faster now too! But that may be age as well. I have not yet mixed them with my older flock as of yet tho. My bigger birds are a bunch of bullies! But their time is comming to an end here soon! (Miniacle laugh) We are only keeping a pair from the older flock this go round. The chicks we have will be set out mid August or so because the smaller banties are so skiddish they turn into lil squeeky toys for my dogs! They dont bother the bigger ones tho? I just dont want to risk it.

Good luck and i hope i was at least a little bit of a help.

I mix feed for those "tweeners" too. And that's when I introduce them to a tiny bit of grain as well. They'll rock along just fine for another 4-6 weeks on the mix. I start offering them a little bit of garden greens, too.

I don't mix them with my "oldsters" until they're quite a bit bigger. Have always had "Dominikers" and RIR's until this year. The old Doms are very docile, and they are not territorial, but those RIR's are. (Those old biddies are goin in the pot very soon!) So far, the Sex Links seem to be fairly docile as well, but they have hung around w/ the Doms since they were introduced to the flock. Maybe it's their nature, maybe they've taken their que's from the old hens. Who knows? The RIR's wouldn't allow them in their "clique." Still don't.

Thats funny because my old RIR was a HUGE thug! Boy was she a mean one! NOONE HAD A TAIL! Out of 8 only she had a nice tail! She pecked everyone elses tails out! She even plucked my Nuggets crest out! Instead of a fro she had a mohawk!

The problems with high calcium feed for pre-laying chicks is the build up of calcium in their renal tracts and kidneys, which causes gout, cannot be noticed, nor is it visible. So while the chicks appear fine, they care continually piling up calcium deposits inside them that they cannot flush.

A laying hen rids herself of calcium through egg laying. A pre-laying bird cannot do this. I personally want my valuable pullets to mature as healthy as possible. I've a lot invested them. Grower is a feed that everyone can eat. I see nothing to be gained in feeding layer, in my experience, but everyone has to find there own way. Hyline Poultry has an excellent, pictorial, easy to understand publication that comes up on a quick Google search.

Again, everyone has to do what they think is best. Not a single feed company, that I know of, recommends layer for young birds. None. Just sayin'.

Fred do u think I can mix them now if I switch to grower food for all the chickens in that coop? Or should I just keep the 2 monthers away alltogether and continue feeding them the chick feed?

The problems with high calcium feed for pre-laying chicks is the build up of calcium in their renal tracts and kidneys, which causes gout, cannot be noticed, nor is it visible. So while the chicks appear fine, they care continually piling up calcium deposits inside them that they cannot flush.   

A laying hen rids herself of calcium through egg laying.  A pre-laying bird cannot do this.  I personally want my valuable pullets to mature as healthy as possible.  I've a lot invested them.  Grower is a feed that everyone can eat.  I see nothing to be gained in feeding layer, in my experience, but everyone has to find there own way.  Hyline Poultry has an excellent, pictorial, easy to understand publication that comes up on a quick Google search.  

Again, everyone has to do what they think is best.  Not a single feed company, that I know of, recommends layer for young birds.  None. Just sayin'.

Thanks Fred! I did not know that! I WAS going to only buy layer fed even when my hens go broody and feed it to everyone! But now i will keep starter on hand for the babies!
is the mix of 1/4 layer : 3/4 starter ok or should I cease the mix? I dont want any sick chicks down the line!

If you are interested, here are a couple of studies about feeding excess calcium to growing chicks. There is a reason they recommend you don't do it. In addition to the increased mortality (that means more chicks die) they cut the chicks open so they can see the damage done to their internal organs.

Avian Gout
http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i.../avian-gout-causes-treatment-t1246/165-p0.htm

British Study – Calcium and Protein
http://www.2ndchance.info/goutGuoHighProtein+Ca.pdf

With a mixed age flock I feed them all either Starter or Grower and offer oyster shell on the side.

Last edited:
If you are interested, here are a couple of studies about feeding excess calcium to growing chicks. There is a reason they recommend you don't do it. In addition to the increased mortality (that means more chicks die) they cut the chicks open so they can see the damage done to their internal organs.
Avian Gout
http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i.../avian-gout-causes-treatment-t1246/165-p0.htm
British Study – Calcium and Protein
http://www.2ndchance.info/goutGuoHighProtein+Ca.pdf
With a mixed age flock I feed them all either Starter or Grower and offer oyster shell on the side.

So u think as long as I switch out my feed I will be fine to mix these folks lol? I feel like the chicks need more room and hate having them in a kennel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom