Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Large shiny pie pans scare some crows from corn patch I an sure the chchickens might be afraid try mounting your mirror to the side of coop and see what they think. this is one of hen cams chickens

My chickens want to fight their reflection......mostly car bumpers, since the bride does not allow them in the house The crows here are not afraid of the shiny streamers and plates they put in the vineyards, but it does work with the blackbirds/starlings.

Walt

This is the picture I post when I get into a vegan chicken argument. This is a Shamo hen that weighs about 9# and this is not a mouse, it is a rat. I dont need an outside cat.

Walt

That's awesome! My chickens better start catching mice cause when they do the harvest we will be overrun with them!

There is a rooster that runs around the perimeter of my place. At least on two sides. Don't know who he belongs to or where he came from. He's pretty frustrated 'cause I won't let him in (I have 6' chain link perimeter fencing), but when I drive the old chevy out there ('57, black & white, much chrome]) he will fight himself bloody trying to kill his reflection in the hubcaps. Nobody said he was smart...but then again, he's been out there for about 2 years and has outwitted all the dumped dogs, coyotes, foxes, owls & skunks! Something about using "smart" and "chicken" in the same sentence... Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I recently posted that chickens will eat mice and got immediate neg responses...baby birds, brand new chicks I definetly cover over with my hands while walking through the coop, they'd love to snack on that...pretty much anything that can't eat them first. :)

there are very old timey books free to download to ereader also free from cornell abou old timey stuff any breed even hatching chickens with old time woodstove contraption that you had to be awake all night long to watch temps.. i dont think i would use arsnic and some of the treatments they used to thou..youve come a long way since then.. book from 1883 selecting for disease resistance.

and my favorites are sops
As a second year newbie, I respectfully request that you "OTs" lay it on! Many on this forum sincerely want to learn the old, time-tested ways and tricks of the trade...where else are we gonna get that information? Perhaps a good start would be for each of our OTs to make a list of maybe 5 points that they feel every chicken owner would benefit from knowing. Those that are on this forum for the purely social, etc. aspect can skip the advice and go right to the pictures on some other thread. I think it would be a shame to withhold valuable information and experience from those who would appreciate it in an effort to somehow not offend or put off those that know it all and don't need it.
That said...LAY IT ON ME, BABY!!!!!

Yeah, I recently posted that chickens will eat mice and got immediate neg responses...baby birds, brand new chicks I definetly cover over with my hands while walking through the coop, they'd love to snack on that...pretty much anything that can't eat them first. :)
I personally love that my chickens eat mice. They have caught several on thier own and any we live trap we release to them, they love them. I have also seen them eat frogs (which I don't like so much) and small snakes. My chickens aren't big or games or anything like that just small to medium size large fowl mostly EE w/ some NNx spitz are the ones I know have done this, my other breeds are still very young, but they hunt the way out of insects. lol lol lol

this was what the standard of perfection looked like in late 1800s..they actually added advise and lots of it..unlike todays gouger.look how much the chickens have changed but the advise is as good if not better than most people know today..when people left the farm for industrial revolution , the art of poultry keeping was nearly lost along with many breeds faced extinction..they did worm the birds thou...garlic was top breeder choice..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom