Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my limited experience, those leaning, falling apart looking old scrap heap coops are much, much better for the chickens than the new pretty ones are. They need the shade and ventilation that these provide. They do not need a nice paint job.

That said, mine is a leaning, falling apart old shed with the front ripped off and covered with wire...;)

I like locust for posts. Even untreated it will last a long time. We use popular alot for structures..planks and logs. The logs will check some but end to end its straight and vry strong...they use poplar beams in the deep mines..most of the pine has been cut, and too narly in the mountain winds where I am. My whole coop is poplar planks, I like the way it weathers too...some planks have a beautiful purple vein in it...but it is hell to drive a nail, or even screw into it, my most favorite wood of all is black walnut...we had a large piece that is now a fireplace mantel, it was supposed to be for gun stocks but I took it...so we got some smaller planks for that...I said hubby can take a little off the ends for pistol grips -that's it...maybe a strip for a rifle...but it will be MY rifle.,

Just wanted to throw in here that most of my pens are made of recycled pallets, they are cheap, easy to use and some can be used as is or cut apart and used however!!! Plus I like to recycle!!! Lynn

Pallets are great! I put them right up there with cattle panels, duct tape, baling twine and zip ties for my all time favorite construction materials on a homestead.

Last edited:
My newly redesigned coop is made mostly from gathered (by me and my husband) wood from a condemmed old house, and pallets. We purchased the rolled roofing and the hardware cloth. It is made w/ lots of doors b/c they were solid and firm and plentiful in the old house, and easier to get then the siding wood. When we first got our chickens I mistakenly thought they needed more protection from the winter then the summer, I did not make the same mistake w/ the new coop it has LOTS of ventilation. Some seasonal (summer) and some permenant. I haven't painted it yet, I need to borrow a water spray to knock off the old chipped paint and dust, but have to admit I am going to paint it cute.

My newly redesigned coop is made mostly from gathered (by me and my husband) wood from a condemmed old house, and pallets.  We purchased the rolled roofing and the hardware cloth.  It is made w/ lots of doors b/c they were solid and firm and plentiful in the old house, and easier to get then the siding wood.  When we first got our chickens I mistakenly thought they needed more protection from the winter then the summer, I did not make the same mistake w/ the new coop it has LOTS of ventilation.  Some seasonal (summer) and some permenant.  I haven't painted it yet, I need to borrow a water spray to knock off the old chipped paint and dust, but have to admit I am going to paint it cute.

Ok then. So long as you used old stuff in the first place, you have permission to paint it cute :gig

Sorry, didn't mean they don't need painting at all, just that some folks spend more time on the aesthetics than on taking care of the animal's needs with the building.

I don't seem to have the integration problems that get talked about a lot around the site. I was told when I first started, from someone on here, to put the newbies in at night. I brought 50 new pullets home about a month ago and in the morning there was a little squabbling but no blood or anything that looked like it might escalate to that before I left for work. That said, it seems I have 2 flocks. I have 7 hens and 2 roosters that were my original flock 3 years ago. When I first brought them home, they were in a coop and run. I had coon problems and let them free range for their own protection. I know that sounds strange but free they survived, cooped up, they didn't. Dummy me used chicken wire, and placed the coop near the woodline under some pines where the coon had a buffet.

Fast forward to today. I have about 75-80 layers, but 8 of the original remnants of 9, maintain their own personal flock. They have eschewed the barn and choose to roost in the garage, which obviously makes a mess. These are 5-6 year old chickens but lay the best eggs of anyone. I have captured them at night taking them to the barn, trying to imprint on their tiny little chicken brains, that the barn is home. They come back to the garage. Every time I threaten them with the stewpot, they have a great egg day, large good brown eggs. Captain is my best roo too.

Any ideas? I figured with the molt on I would handle it then but they are still laying.

As far as the hogs, I am building an operation similar to what Bee described. I raise Tamworth, a heritage breed known for its foraging ability and ability to farrow without much assistance. They are purebred and genetically predisposed to be able to be raised in this specific manner.

Walt, I want your job. I want to judge chicks and for them to think I am sexy and squat for me.

My best coop is made from an old horse run-in.. Wanted it to use it right off but DH insisted on building a shed-type coop. Let me tell ya, the horse run in is a MUCH better coop. Great ventilation (the whole top on the sides is open, covered with HW cloth, it's in the shade - and while the shed coop is not standing up to the weather well, the horse run in coop just keeps on ticking. :)

When my free range flock decides to roost or lay too much in places other than the coop, I confine them for 4-5 days to the coop. I hate it, they hate it...but it works.

Geez Bee.... I'd a never thunk about that lol!

My problem is, there is no way to hold them in the barn unless I drag one of the old little coops in which is.... Dang, just being lazy.... Guess I will get the tractor out and move it into the barn, then feed and water the buggers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom