Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best thing about those photos was seeing what I believe to be a Beagle dog looking out from his box. Any man whose got Beagle dogs is just alright in my book.

You got a great beginning point there. Yup, it takes a lot of money to transform these older skeletons. Start on top. Get the roof as good as new. Putting money in things under a bad roof is like putting lipstick on one of your pigs.

I envy you that good structure. It is filled with possibilities. That wet spot you feel is just me drooling over a re-construction project.

Last edited:
Best thing about those photos was seeing what I believe to be a Beagle dog looking out from his box. Any man whose got Beagle dogs is just alright in my book.

You got a great beginning point there. Yup, it takes a lot of money to transform these older skeletons. Start on top. Get the roof as good as new. Putting money in things under a bad roof is like putting lipstick on one of your pigs.

I envy you that good structure. It is filled with possibilities. That wet spot you feel is just me drooling over a re-construction project.

Instead of drooling, would you like my address?

Mabel is the black and tan beagle. She is AKC Registered. The bluetick beagle is Bluebell, a rescue. The other one is Momma, another rescue. I have never had much luck training beagles, lacked the knowledge and too many other pans in the fire. When the 2 rescues came, neither hunted. A few weeks with Mabel and they all hunt. In fact, the bluetick, you have to drag out of the woods.

Lw I will share my next dream project this fall (after I got an auto door) rain water barrels to collect water right at the coop because I do not want to be lugging it this winter. Right now I have buckets that collect the drip from a/c units, put a facet on the bucket and can take off that to 'carry' to the broody pen. But the chickens get to walk down there themselves for a drink of overflow. Now, you should be proud of your barn...alotof people I know have no chicken coop at all, and they have more chickens than they can count..healthy chickens. Anyway, when you put your roof on, allow for gutters and downspout to collect water in. Huh? As for height, my chickens easily roost up eight feet and higher if i put another tree limb up...two more for all the hatches this year. Good luck!

Pet peeve, and not directed at anyone. But we try to help folks here at BYC, or at least some of us still try, now and then, on the other threads. But the hardest part of giving any kind of guidance is the realization that the facilities that so many backyarders have are just so sorely inadequate. Folks let their enthusiasm and obtaining of birds run far, far ahead of their planning and their erection of decent housing, pens and runs. OK, rant over.
When I first got my chicks, a record setting heat wave came with them....I came to BYC looking for advice. Everyone was feeding frozen watermelon, taking frozen water bottles to the coop, and so on. Then, I came across a post (can't remember who the poster was, but I'm sure it was one of the OTs) that said something like maybe we're babying our chickens too much, that they survived in the heat before we came along, and that plenty of shade and water should suffice. Now, I said to myself, "that's the most sensible thing I've heard yet". WELL that poster was really chastized (sp) with such posts like "Maybe you don't mind losing a bird to the heat, but I don't want to lose my baby" and so on. It upset ME.

THEN, I fould this thread. I'm trying to get through the fermented feed thread now (about halfway through) and am a little confused still (reading comprenhension skills not the greatest).

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this thread because I was about to quit visiting BYC. I couldn't understand why someone would get so upset with somebody who was just being sensible.

Just my 2 cents.

Julie

Last edited:
When I first got my chicks, a record setting heat wave came with them....I came to BYC looking for advice. Everyone was feeding frozen watermelon, taking frozen water bottles to the coop, and so on. Then, I came across a post (can't remember who the poster was, but I'm sure it was one of the OTs) that said something like maybe we're babying our chickens too much, that they survived in the heat before we came along, and that plenty of shade and water should suffice. Now, I said to myself, "that's the most sensible thing I've heard yet". WELL that poster was really chastized (sp) with such posts like "Maybe you don't mind losing a bird to the heat, but I don't want to lose my baby" and so on. It upset ME.

THEN, I fould this thread. I'm trying to get through the fermented feed thread now (about halfway through) and am a little confused still (reading comprenhension skills not the greatest).

Anyway, I'm so glat I found this thread because I was about to quit visiting BYC. I couldn't understand why someone would get so upset with somebody who was just being sensible.

Just my 2 cents.

Julie
might have been me. Or any number of people who post here. i have been called all kinds of crazy names and things because I'm sensible. I say things VERY similar to what you say was said all the time. Or I did. Now I post here and on the duck thread once in a while. That is it on BYC. Like the Metallica song I just heard on the way home "nothing else matters"

I think I've seen you post a lot of no nonsense stuff on another thread I used to look at. I forget the exact title, but it's the old fashioned broody whatever....If it's your screen name I remember, I believe you've posted about a hundred times to leave the chicks alone, not to pick one up that young, not to handle them while they're pipping (whatever the term is) and on and on and on. Then, about ten posts down, somebody will post a picture of a chick that has "just hatched". They're so excited they just HAVE to go bother the broody, pick up the chick and take pics to post.

Lw I will share my next dream project this fall (after I got an auto door) rain water barrels to collect water right at the coop because I do not want to be lugging it this winter. Right now I have buckets that collect the drip from a/c units, put a facet on the bucket and can take off that to 'carry' to the broody pen. But the chickens get to walk down there themselves for a drink of overflow. Now, you should be proud of your barn...alotof people I know have no chicken coop at all, and they have more chickens than they can count..healthy chickens. Anyway, when you put your roof on, allow for gutters and downspout to collect water in. Huh? As for height, my chickens easily roost up eight feet and higher if i put another tree limb up...two more for all the hatches this year. Good luck!

That is 3 times you people have caught me. I am not an idiot, a fool, nor am I not proud of what I have with my property. I use self deprecation as a tool to ingratiate myself. Comes with being a salesman. All my life I have hated being seen as stuffy, arrogant, successful, etc... by people that don't even know me. So... it has developed as a defense mechanism... now, can we get off me and onto a solution? I love being in the spotlight. Used to be in a barbershop quartet, aspire to be an auctioneer, love being on the radio for my businesses, but don't quite like being used as a bad example lol! Not nearly as fun.... Oh... there I go again ;)

My chickens appear to be healthy although I wouldn't recognize a mite if I saw one....

Actually, a fall project of closing up some space replete with pen spaces for separation for different purposes, appeals to me. I hate to start one, but once I do, I will work all kinds of hours to get it done.

Interesting concept to use runoff. I could probably fill a 55 gallon drum pretty easily with that expanse if it would ever rain....

I'll give it a shot...should be interesting to see how each OT sees this space and the potential therein!
Ask and ye shall receive. Ain't much of a barn but.... I could tell you a story about arrogance and humility. At one time I was a millionaire. My arrogance took me down some very bad roads, and ultimately led me to where I am today, rebuilding. Today I am rich in family, rebuilding the moral fabric that I used to, and now again hold dear. It has nothing to do with chickens though, and yet, can be correlated.
The stalls run down the left side. The picture seen is the hog stall.

Those are the beagle kennels with room for a lean to if necessary over the embankment leading to the pond. I wouldn't be building any more space until you've worked on what you have to maximize efficiency and space. I'd downsize the flock to fit the space you currently possess and get that working like an Ingersoll watch before expanding the operation.

This is the main roost laying area. I could extend it about 10 feet to the doorway. Those doors cannot close currently. I'd frame up this doorway with wire and lumber and put in a screen/wired door...same with the other horse stall/coop. Then I'd make a connecting pop door/tunnel that can be closed, to run between these areas.

Feeding on a dirt and hay strewn floor. Stays dry. Note the pop door. I'd place/bend welded wire over these trough feeders..easy to do and will save you a bunch on feed loss from scratching and flicking. I'd also place feed cans right next to feeders and waterers close to the doors(if you don't already) but not in an obstructive way or in your direct line of walking to nest boxes, feeders, etc.

She has 2 peeps left.

The main laying boxes are to the back of the first stall. On the other side is the other stall. Yes they roost on the top of the layer boxes... maybe it IS dirty.... Yeah...I'd put a stop to that by slanting a piece of tin or a long board on the top of those to make a slick/slanted surface over those nest boxes.

2nd stall with roost. You'll cut any cleaning chores in half by placing all your roosting areas in one stall and feeding/nesting in the other. IME, free ranged chickens usually leave most of their feces under the roost area and the other areas get minimal deposits.

I'd make your roosting areas the closest to the outside access(1st stall) so the birds can get right down off the roost and go outside to free range without passing through the nesting/feeding area and any major cleaning of feces can be quickly accessed and removed by being closest to the outside door.

Then I'd feed in the evenings...make 'em work all day to find food and you won't find chickens lounging about in the coops all day, making more turds inside. With that many birds, I'd keep a waterer in both stalls.

Outside the stall is the isolation room and another set of laying boxes I had in another coop. Old coop now razed and on the burn pile.

Chickens and hogs in harmony. Been a very dry year.

Take it easy on me... no... I can take it. Tell me what you would do to make this a serviceable chickenry. I suppose I ought to avail myself of some of my Amish friends, but i don't have to travel to have you guys... and gals.

Side note: Even with all that space~ and taking into account it's molting time which allows for some feather loss~ I see quite a few raggedy feathered gals with bare backs...too many roos? If not, explored the cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom