Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deer Lady: Did you listen to part 2? She finally realized what she said and felt so stupid. She appreciated how kind the radio announcers were to her. I chuckled too and give credit to the radio guys for keeping their composure. I think I felt a kinship with her as sometimes I feel pretty stupid myself after I realize how dumb what I've said is.
And she said it over the air waves too.

ok now i am down right p'od . freaken possums again. just killed 2 of them . now another one got one of biggest cx meaties. they always get the big ones. this was a 6lb'er. everybody is staying in the coop for a while. they need to retrained where to lay anyway. dang it am p.o'ed
so i refreshed the coop with pine shavings so they should be comfy. next i will sit around the area with a .22 and have a bounty on their hide. i will also get every boy and adult male to come pee around the coop.
And to think you made it through a hurricane, just for the dang possum to eat!!

Memory lane: blue & white speckled turkey roaster, too sm. for the turkey we would get
so had to retire and declutter that one. This mo. I found a black and white speckled pan big enough for any bird at a yd. sale for 50 cents! Looking forward to using it one of these years.
Not this yr. as it's not my turn to do the bird & fixins here. I thought it would be great for chicken watering pan when I first got it now I"m not sure if the chickens get it unless it's to be cooked in.

Hubby got him self a new knife engraved and all I asked if it was his "new butchering tool" to do it in the dark because it had a black Teflon like coating on it not all shiny chrome like most Buck knives I ask if it was to help him in stealth mode to be sneaky when he "does the deed" so the neighbors won't know as we live in the burbs here! I'd been wondering why he was waiting now I know! LOL!

Deer Lady: Did you listen to part 2? She finally realized what she said and felt so stupid. She appreciated how kind the radio announcers were to her. I chuckled too and give credit to the radio guys for keeping their composure. I think I felt a kinship with her as sometimes I feel pretty stupid myself after I realize how dumb what I've said is.
Hi Neighbor ..
frow.gif
did you know there is a new york thread ?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/231485/ny-chicken-lover/14410#post_9909167
Deborah

Memory lane: blue & white speckled turkey roaster, too sm. for the turkey we would get
so had to retire and declutter that one. This mo. I found a black and white speckled pan big enough for any bird at a yd. sale for 50 cents! Looking forward to using it one of these years.
Not this yr. as it's not my turn to do the bird & fixins here. I thought it would be great for chicken watering pan when I first got it now I"m not sure if the chickens get it unless it's to be cooked in.

Hubby got him self a new knife engraved and all I asked if it was his "new butchering tool" to do it in the dark because it had a black Teflon like coating on it not all shiny chrome like most Buck knives I ask if it was to help him in stealth mode to be sneaky when he "does the deed" so the neighbors won't know as we live in the burbs here! I'd been wondering why he was waiting now I know! LOL!
lol. I aske my DH to do the deed under the deck cause I didnt want the tree huggers, I mean neighbors, to notice. Yep, he did it right on the driveway. Took the neighbors a full week to tell my they thought it was "curious" that we killed the goose. Both old timers too. I told them the goose wasa murderer and the turkey was next cause shes messy. lol. Glad im not the only one with this issue. He's been munbling about having fresh chicken this we.....what will the neighborssay?
L

lol. I aske my DH to do the deed under the deck cause I didnt want the tree huggers, I mean neighbors, to notice. Yep, he did it right on the driveway. Took the neighbors a full week to tell my they thought it was "curious" that we killed the goose. Both old timers too. I told them the goose wasa murderer and the turkey was next cause shes messy. lol. Glad im not the only one with this issue. He's been munbling about having fresh chicken this we.....what will the neighborssay?
L
I had the opposite problem. When our neighbors found out I was culling the extra roos, they all wanted some "real" fried chicken. We had a chicken fry. Next time, though, the roos will be going in the freezer!!

I'm finding that my chickens don't seem to want to eat field pumpkin. I've tried plain raw, then had some leftover that I had baked so tried the cooked too. They totally ignore it. One day they did eat a little but not much, and I left it out all week long to see if they'd go for it after it "aged" a little.

I keep reading that they'll eat pumpkin but I'm not seeing that so far... Even if I've frozen it and let it thaw like Bee has described (although I only did that in a freezer - not outdoors over a period of time.

I guess the question is all this is, should I just forget the pumpkin flesh and use the seeds only? (I know the seeds have the worming effect, but I was hoping they'd eat the pumpkin itself too!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom