Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday a noon I noticed that the chickens were all in their pen after I'd let them out a couple hours before I thought to my self "that's odd" they are usually out in the yard running around. Then I heard a loud chirping sound so I went out to investigate thinking that maybe one of the neighbors dogs might have gotten one of the chickens, then just as I got on the other side of the house and rounded the corning to the back yard I see this hawk flying over head and I realize that it's a warning call.

We're on the fence about shootin' one of our own dogs at the moment. We rescued her about 9months ago and she the sweetest pain in the ***** there ever was, just lovable as all get out, but mega high prey drive. I introduced her to the chickens on leash several times before she was allowed around them off leash at all. Still she must be closely supervised, she grabbed one once and we had a come to jesus meeting, never beat a dog like that before, but she gives them a wide berth now. Well, yesterday that pot bellied pig from down the road got loose again and was in our pasture, she got to it before I could and latched onto to the poor things nose. DH says that's a good sign that we're gonna have aggression problems with her and other animals. Takes some gumption to grab a pig by the face and hang on while it swings you around...
I told him we should take her down south and sell her to someone who hunts wild pigs, she'd love it. He said he's seen the way they care for their dogs and it would be kinder to just put a bullet in her now.
hu.gif

We're on the fence about shootin' one of our own dogs at the moment. We rescued her about 9months ago and she the sweetest pain in the ***** there ever was, just lovable as all get out, but mega high prey drive. I introduced her to the chickens on leash several times before she was allowed around them off leash at all. Still she must be closely supervised, she grabbed one once and we had a come to jesus meeting, never beat a dog like that before, but she gives them a wide berth now. Well, yesterday that pot bellied pig from down the road got loose again and was in our pasture, she got to it before I could and latched onto to the poor things nose. DH says that's a good sign that we're gonna have aggression problems with her and other animals. Takes some gumption to grab a pig by the face and hang on while it swings you around...
I told him we should take her down south and sell her to someone who hunts wild pigs, she'd love it. He said he's seen the way they care for their dogs and it would be kinder to just put a bullet in her now.
hu.gif
Is there a possibility that she thought she was PROTECTING her territory from an intruder? Take her in with the chickens, and see how she acts now. If she's OK, you've got yourself a LGD. Some major obedience training wouldn't hurt.

Can chickens go broody while in a molt? My most picked on EE, Jade, has been spending a lot of time in the nest box lately. She doesn't do the squawk & growl that the Orpington and the Brahma do when they're broody and I go in to kick them out of the coop. Is it possible she's getting sick? Feeling too picked on by everyone and is hiding? I have 13 hens and one rooster in this group. 5 are new pullets, a year younger than the rest (Jade is in the older, almost 2 year old group) and after a month of restructuring the pecking order, Jade ended up on the bottom again. I've been getting her out of the nest every night and putting her on the roost next to Mr. Feathers and she seems fine with that (my other two broodies would immediately start heading down to the nest box again). I don't know what to think.

Is there a possibility that she thought she was PROTECTING her territory from an intruder? Take her in with the chickens, and see how she acts now. If she's OK, you've got yourself a LGD. Some major obedience training wouldn't hurt.
That would have been my guess if I didn't know the dog better. She's just young and has a high prey drive and low impulse control. She has gotten SO much better about listening in the last few months. She gets 'that look' in her eyes when she sees any cats or squirrels (or anything) on the property, but if i say no and stay on top of it, she will stay with me..But you can just see the adrenaline pumping through her body, she gets very tense and her hind legs tremble. She can't help it, I try not to be too hard on her, it's just instinct.

I don't either but the uninitiated may find them a little much....I find them merely educational.
big_smile.png
That is why folks come to this thread, I imagine..to learn something they cannot find elsewhere.
That is why I am here!! Before getting our chickens, I went to the bookstore, read online all that I could. After reading this and similar threads, I realized that I had to glean from the experience of others. I have learned so much. Thank you for helping out all of us!

hu.gif

She sounds like she has potential to me! She just needs to really get trained on wanting to please you....I'd put in some good training time with food reward, aversion training on the chickens, basic commands over and over until she anticipates what you want. She sounds smart enough, just needs a job to do...give her one!
Can chickens go broody while in a molt? My most picked on EE, Jade, has been spending a lot of time in the nest box lately. She doesn't do the squawk & growl that the Orpington and the Brahma do when they're broody and I go in to kick them out of the coop. Is it possible she's getting sick? Feeling too picked on by everyone and is hiding? I have 13 hens and one rooster in this group. 5 are new pullets, a year younger than the rest (Jade is in the older, almost 2 year old group) and after a month of restructuring the pecking order, Jade ended up on the bottom again. I've been getting her out of the nest every night and putting her on the roost next to Mr. Feathers and she seems fine with that (my other two broodies would immediately start heading down to the nest box again). I don't know what to think.

They can but I've never had one to do so. When you kick her out of the nest and she doesn't crouch down, fluff up, act like a complete nut and get right back into the nest when your back is turned, I'd doubt this is broody. Just be patient with her and keep putting her on the roost. Sounds like she may be getting extra "love" from your flock...this is a bird I would cull from one of my flocks.
gig.gif
lau.gif

Okay...I've got to say that I haven't laughed as hard as I did when I read that in a long time.

(Things that can have "double meaning" are always funny to me for some reason...)

I had the same reaction! It just hit my funny bone right....
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom