chickens hardly laying

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I give my birds cooked ground Turkey for extra protein during molting season. They really wolf it down and this gives them the added proteins they need. Sometimes molters lose their appetites and need a protein boost. But as stated above, outside temps, health, light, age, molting, etc...can effect laying. Good luck and enjoy your flock!

Chooks are omnivores, they will eat most things we do. If you are a meat eater they will eat any meat scraps, mine clean up the bones from a lamb or beef roast (no chicken of course). Alternately you could give them insects, like meal worms, crickets etc. There are some learning pages and forum pages here on BYC by people growing their own insects to feed their chickens. Sorry I don't have any references but perhaps someone else here could help or just do a search.
Mine also free range in the garden and I have a compost heap they are always digging over for worms and bugs.
Also your feed pellets should list on the bag what level of protein is in them so you will know how much they are getting from the pellets.

Chicken is one of their favorites- you should see two chickens playing tug of war with a chicken drumstick.........

Chickens haven't read the book so don't know about soylent green. You mentioned heat I believe, has it been unseasonably warm at your end? If so that could cause them to lay less often.

Back
Top Bottom