Chickens look thin

NewBostonChick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
New Boston, NH
Hello, After the winter, my chickens are outside each day in the run.. but they look thinner to me... they get layer pellets and mash and lots of treats, meal worms, kitchen scraps, yogurt, etc... Does anyone have any suggestions to fatten them up a bit? I wonder if the feed is the problem and wonder about GMO's.. it is blue seal feeds... I wish I could afford all organic..... thanks in advance....

Hello, After the winter, my chickens are outside each day in the run.. but they look thinner to me... they get layer pellets and mash and lots of treats, meal worms, kitchen scraps, yogurt, etc... Does anyone have any suggestions to fatten them up a bit? I wonder if the feed is the problem and wonder about GMO's.. it is blue seal feeds... I wish I could afford all organic..... thanks in advance....
Does anyone have an advice for me?

Maybe they are at their fighting weight now and have lost the excess flab they were carrying. Seriously though have you weighted them and compared their weight to the weight they are supposed to be for their breed? If they are under weight then consider whether they have a parasite. What you are feeding them should put on or hold their weight.

Last edited:
The problem is most likely not enough protein. It has nothing to do with GMOs.

Layer mix is low protein to start. Free ranging increases protein needs because of higher activity. Adding scraps lowers protein (unless they're meat scraps).

EDIT: Also - chickens can't digest lactose - feeding them yogurt isn't really helpful. They get enough probiotics eating dirt and everything else they eat.

Switch them onto a flock raiser feed, and stop feeding them scraps. It should correct itself.

Last edited:
x2! Feed a good balanced diet, oyster shell on the side, and lots less other stuff. Flock Raiser is really good! Also, fat isn't better, but good healthy condition is the goal here. Mary

CrazyTalk is likely right, assuming there are no parasites. When mine got thin my vet told me to give them some egg every other day. She wasn't a chicken expert, but she was an avian vet. Egg = protein. This did fatten them up some. Mine are on a fermented flock raiser now, with oysters. I still treat, cause they love their greens and berries! The FF has had beneficial effects.

Back
Top Bottom