Chickens moving alot at night while on the roost.

chicken-tender

Songster
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 6, 2016
Plainwell,. Michigan
After the discussion on cameras in the coop, I have noticed a lot of moving around on the roost at night. I checked for mites and lice and found none. I had an experienced friend check and he found nothing. They seem to be grooming a lot. Lots of feathers on the poop board and the floor. Seems excessive to me but the chickens are not anywhere near bare. And my friend seemed to think it was OK. Camera history records movement any where from every 15 minutes to once every hour, on various nights. No night is completely still. My chickens are still young, 18 to 20 weeks not laying yet. Also, some times the hens swap places, and sometimes the rooster moves to another place on the roost. Has anyone else noticed that type of behavior? Doesn't seem like they would get much rest some nights.

As long as they stay on the roost I'd be fine with whatever they're doing.

Since all your birds are young (I think? not sure) they might be going through some juvenile molt - I wouldn't worry about finding some feathers as long as no one has bare, irritated or dirty patches.

No, they stay on the roost. I did't think they would molt the first year. ... Now that I finally made this post after debating about for about a month, last night between 7:30 pm and 5:30 am this morning, there was no movement!. First time since I put the camera in! Go figure, just too much obsessing on my part I guess.

I did't think they would molt the first year.
Well.....they've already molted a few times ;)
Chickens molt and grow a new set of feathers 2-3 times before around 6 months of age, those are called the juvenile molts.
Some pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Most birds will have their first full adult molt their second fall/winter.

Back
Top Bottom