Roost heigh, might have goats

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
Reposting as I think my first post wasn't seen due to it being an old thread. I'm a newbie and I put both the nesting boxes and roosts up high. Probably about 3.5 feet. I might get two small goats in the near future (our land is slowly being taken over by poison ivy) and they would probably need to share the shed with the chickens at first. My thinking was to keep things as much out of reach as possible in case goats want to eat the chicken bedding. I saw someone else's set-up who has lots of goats and various poultry. It seemed to be in great working order and I noticed some roosts near the ceiling in one barn where chickens were lazily enjoying themselves near a hanging heat source in the winter. But now I've realized this might not work at all in my situation. They had lots of sheds and barns and so far I have one. Plus my chickens are young. 10.5 weeks old. My newly built shed is only 6x8. I have EIGHT chicks that are supposedly easter eggers. So far they don't seem to have any interest in exploring the roosts or nesting boxes, but they are also still adjusting. I do have a climbing ladder, but am now worried that everything is too high based on what I'm reading. They seem to love to fly, but a couple had spradle leg and I thought a couple wouldn't make it when they were younger, so not sure I should make things challenging. Appreciate any thoughts on maximum height for safety for easter eggers.

Reposting as I think my first post wasn't seen due to it being an old thread. I'm a newbie and I put both the nesting boxes and roosts up high. Probably about 3.5 feet. I might get two small goats in the near future (our land is slowly being taken over by poison ivy) and they would probably need to share the shed with the chickens at first. My thinking was to keep things as much out of reach as possible in case goats want to eat the chicken bedding. I saw someone else's set-up who has lots of goats and various poultry. It seemed to be in great working order and I noticed some roosts near the ceiling in one barn where chickens were lazily enjoying themselves near a hanging heat source in the winter. But now I've realized this might not work at all in my situation. They had lots of sheds and barns and so far I have one. Plus my chickens are young. 10.5 weeks old. My newly built shed is only 6x8. I have EIGHT chicks that are supposedly easter eggers. So far they don't seem to have any interest in exploring the roosts or nesting boxes, but they are also still adjusting. I do have a climbing ladder, but am now worried that everything is too high based on what I'm reading. They seem to love to fly, but a couple had spradle leg and I thought a couple wouldn't make it when they were younger, so not sure I should make things challenging. Appreciate any thoughts on maximum height for safety for easter eggers.
In all reality and best case. PUT the nesting boxes where it is most comfortable for YOU. Not as your preference but what you physically can do that doesn't put a strain on your body. Make it as easy on yourself. This makes it easier for you to do maintenance. Take as much of the, chore factor, out of if and as much enjoyment in it. Yes the physical space will determine this but again get them as high up as YOU need them to be. Then get those roosting bar above them.

Now if you can make them with a push out feature that keep them from sleeping in there. If you have that then the roosting bar can be below the boxes.

Watch this video where their nesting boxes are above the roosting bars. They have that push out feature.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah I gotta get my roosts higher. A push-out feature would be cool. Those ones look pretty industrial. Where I live they say it gets too cold in the winter and the chickens can get frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom