chickens or ducks for meat?

theuglyduckling

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
puerto rico
i want to raise birds for meat, but i am not sure which to choose chickens or ducks? i want to raise which ever is cheapest. i noticed from watching videos that ducks seem to grow faster than chickens but do they eat more than chickens? chickens depending on which breed grow just as fast or slower, but do they consume more feed than ducks or less? im just trying to determine which is cheapest when it comes to the food consumption along with how long they would be on it before they go to the freezer. it would only be enough ducks or chickens for only 4 people. what is your advise? oh and i have plenty of land to raise either or. thanks for the advise.

Ducks may appear to grow faster, but chickens reach their slaughter weight way earlier. I think it's 6-8 weeks for chickies and 10-12 for ducks? I could be wrong though, I haven't raised meat birds since I was a teenager. Chickens are also cleaner and eat less. Ducks are little feathered piggies!

Ultimately it's about the kind of meat you want vs time and effort. Ducks have lovely, dark meat and their breasts are more akin to a steak than white meat poultry. Chicken meat is far more versatile, though.

Have you visited the meat bird sub-forum and asked them about it? They may know more than us duck pet owners. :)

Last edited:
Ducks may appear to grow faster, but chickens reach their slaughter weight way earlier. I think it's 6-8 weeks for chickies and 10-12 for ducks? I could be wrong though, I haven't raised meat birds since I was a teenager. Chickens are also cleaner and eat less. Ducks are little feathered piggies!

Ultimately it's about the kind of meat you want vs time and effort. Ducks have lovely, dark meat and their breasts are more akin to a steak than white meat poultry. Chicken meat is far more versatile, though.

Have you visited the meat bird sub-forum and asked them about it? They may know more than us duck pet owners. :)

nope i didnt know there was one. but im not really interersted in how each taste its just that i wanted to raise the cheapest one rather than just the way it taste or what can be done to it.i have had duck before i know it has more flavor but im more interested in raising the cheapest one for less money. but thanks for your advise.

Back
Top Bottom