Chickens wobbly, falling over, and dying

The symptoms of head injury she exhibited after the pecking attack were falling over, swaying as she walked as if she was dizzy, acting uncoordinated, losing her balance. That hen was a banty/game hen cross. I didn't realize Marek's was so common. I've had chickens for 10 1/2 years and never had an outbreak.

This is truly awful. I'm so sorry you're losing your chickens.

I read in the forums that someone was able to have a necropsy done for very little money. A research university was sponsoring part of the costs. I'm not sure what the steps are to take, so double check. But if you're able to have this done, you'll need to refrigerate a deceased chicken and follow their guidelines on how to get it to them.

Thanks for the info on necropsy. It would be nice to know what is happening so I can take measures to avoid it in the future if at all possible.

Many people don't realise they have the disease in their flock or don't want to admit to it. It is the aids of the chicken world in many respects. Breeders don't want to admit to it and many back yard flock keepers don't know anything about it and don't bother to find out what killed their birds.
The symptoms of head injury she exhibited after the pecking attack were falling over, swaying as she walked as if she was dizzy, acting uncoordinated, losing her balance.
These are symptoms of Marek's too. Chickens are much more perceptive about illness than we are and it is likely they attacked her because she was already weak and vulnerable due to the disease.
I too would encourage you to get a necropsy done if you can manage it. Knowing what you are dealing with and making a plan of how to move forward is helpful. I would just like to add that there is a lot of very frightening info out there about Marek's Disease...... the reality is not nearly as bleak and whilst every individual loss to it is heart breaking many do survive. Learning how to manage it is important and I would start with a good quality vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench to support their immune systems. Like AIDS, Marek's suppresses the immune system, so keeping birds as happy and healthy and stress free as possible is key to managing the disease. I'm 3.5 years down the road with it and still learning.

Back
Top Bottom