chickens won't drink

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Glad you figured out your problem.

We just didn't want to make the change while it was hot.  We are using buckets that we're attaching the nipples to and they're supposed to keep the water cleaner.  I think we'll keep the old fashioned kind IN the coop this winter since it won't drip, but I want some outside for them...at the height of winter, they may freeze solid before we can swap them out so we might have to come up with a heater of some sort for the outside water.
I took and old metal fuse box....got a waterproof trouble light....cut the hole that the wire goes through to fit the fixture of the trouble light..secured the light fixture in the hole...so no water or dust can get into the fuse box....put a 40 watt light bulb in the fixture...shut the fuse box door... set the fuse box on a couple pieces of 2x2 to keep it off the floor and put my metal waterer on it...it keeps the water from freezing in all but the coldest weather...it's inside the coop....I do check every day when I change the water to be sure the bulb hasn't burnt out....

We read somewhere that they were probably bored so we hung old cds in the yard for them of course they were scared of them, I guess I will go put them back out. We are getting a bale of hay today for them to climb on. They have just turned 5 months old and are not laying yet, so we thought maybe we were stressing them out by adding things. We feed them laying pellets and I give them watermelon, tomatoes and grapes daily, some days they get extra stuff and each night my husband catches then grasshoppers. I hope I am doing things right. Just frustrated NO EGSS yet
You are doing just fine....and be patient...the eggs will come...add the new things the same time you give them the treats...chances are that they won't really notice the new things and realize that they won't harm them...my border collie likes to stalk the birds thru the fence...she will creep up on them in slow motion..then rush the fence...of course the hens scatter...but now they are so used to it..they only scatter a few feet from the fence and go on doing their chicken thing...now fussing or alarm calls...they just go back to eating and scratching...

They have a big fenced in yard, that is covered with wire as well and I have half of it with a tarp so they have shade. The bowls are to big to hang. I guess I am just going to hang their waterers back out. They are so set in their ways. They do not like anything new.
I am going through the same. We have our waterer on a paving stone to keep it cleaner and it is not as easy for thrm to tip over. However suddenly our chicks (7 weeks old) are refusing their "magic water". 😵‍💫

I am going through the same. We have our waterer on a paving stone to keep it cleaner and it is not as easy for thrm to tip over. However suddenly our chicks (7 weeks old) are refusing their "magic water". 😵‍💫
You may like to start a new thread with an introduction about your chicks and anything else you would like to share including pictures.

Back
Top Bottom