Chickens won't go in coop at night

I don't know where you are located, but I'd be working on attaching a run to my coop ASAP,as it's only a matter of time before an owl or some other nocturnal tree climbing predator wipes them out. Then do as Aart said - lock 'em in for a week or so to reset their little chicken brains to going in the coop at night. They won't be happy, but they'll get over it. Some people will put a light in the coop to encourage them to come in when it starts getting dark outside.

ETA - the nice thing about having an attached run is, you can keep them locked up sometimes if you need to discourage a predator, or if you need to be gone for a few days or something. I also keep mine in when we have company visiting with their dogs.
I'm not sure what exactly the difference in a run or coop is but when I say coop, Its alot bigger than what a coop looks like when you google it. It is quite large (15' by 17') and is fenced in on all sides. and has a roof. It is pictured in this photo on the right of the purple martin house with the red looking siding at the bottom.

Where are you located....is it hot?
Good ventilation in coop?
Do you have a run?

I'd lock them in the coop(and run if yo have one) 24/7 for a week, 'force' them to make a habit of roosting in coop.
No, they won't like it...they'll complain and act like they are gong to die if you don't let them out, but they be fine.
Sometimes chicken keepers have to manipulate the situation to create good safe habits in/for the birds.
We are in nc and its relatively hot here right now..
I'm not sure what exactly the difference in a run or coop is but when I say coop, Its alot bigger than what a coop looks like when you google it. It is quite large (15' by 17') and is fenced in on all sides. and has a roof. It is pictured in this photo on the right of the purple martin house with the red looking siding at the bottom.

I'm in MN. To me, a "coop" is a building. Some people have their chickens in those little pre-made doll house type coops. Others (I'm in this group) use a shed type building. A "run" to me is a fenced area where they can be outside yet protected. I need a larger coop because the chickens don't like to go outside when it's cold and there is snow on the ground, so they spend more time inside. Here is a picture of my setup:

Ah ok.....I'd call that an open air coop, often used in hot climates.

Have they gone back in at night yet?
Do they go in there during the day to eat and lay eggs?
You might have to lure them in there then keep them locked up to habituate them to roosting in there again.

But, depending on what kind of 'fence' is on there, something could be getting in and spooking them.

Ah ok.....I'd call that an open air coop, often used in hot climates.

Have they gone back in at night yet?
Do they go in there during the day to eat and lay eggs?
You might have to lure them in there then keep them locked up to habituate them to roosting in there again.

But, depending on what kind of 'fence' is on there, something could be getting in and spooking them.
Its "chicken wire" definitely nothing getting in there. No way for anything larger than a bug. LOL yes they go in there in the day to eat feed and drink when needed which is weird. We can't find mama Hen (Granny) So scared something has gotten her. They are too young to lay. (except for Granny and she has only given us one egg so either she's laying them somewhere else or she doesn't lay much) according to people on here.. I have game fowl apparently and my research indicates they are not good layers anywhere. We were given the Hen and the chicks when they were a week old or so, and had NO idea what they were. People on here have helped me figure out they aren't what we thought we were getting which were chicks that would end up being good layers. Didn't want any part of game fowl, fighting chickens whatever you call them. Was assured that wasn't what we were getting. Apparently we were lied to. :( they are now only about 2 1/2 months

Hello :)
It's definately something coming around ,lurking and terrifying your flock. I have Ferrets ,and learned everything I could find before bringing them into our family...except the fact that if you own a bird or chicken or duck...i.e. Feathered creatures you should consider opting for a hamster. :D
(Anyhow,I talk way toooo much,so sorry the habit rolls on over to speaking with my fingers :D )
So my chickens I've fallen in love with ....along comes these spirited ,adorable lil weasels whome I've adored from petco visits thru the years but never knew anything AT ALL about them...and I'm not exaggerating the "AT ALL" part ,let me tell ya
1f644.png

Son can't keep em,mom will you take em? "Of course! " they're adorable ,how could anyone say no to a ferret face ,let alone two. And we all lived happily ever after... ( I swear my momma cat Bella and Jasper my white ferret are having a love affair :) anyway...sorry )Until the day I adopted a widow duck and ,being winter I brought her in for a couple hours to play in the tub,kids loved watching her have fun ,she is just so sweet . ...and all is going swell....bath time ends,I let her dry up by walking around a bit before going back to her chicken sisters and I hear "OH MY GAWD! LILLY!! LILLY OH MY GAWD"
With the saddest chorus of a crying ,dying duck. I run in to see my mother holding the duck (daisy) in one arm and literally shaking and pulling my Jackson (sable ferret) in the other....he locked on to daisys neck and was strangling her .mom told me she thought she was going to have to kill jack or rip her neck off while he had ahold of it.but he stopped and she lived and ,I didn't think once I should get rid of the ferrets ,though everyone else did :( (to know one is to love one )
( can I digress or what
1f633.png
)
Wow. So I'll save you all right now and stop talking about my ferrets vs duck ordeal, save it for another thread ,I'm so sorry.
I just meant to say ,yes your girls are terrified ,and yes it's most likely your enormous coyote ,his friends and their friends as well .... And I think I'm pretty positive on this due to the way my chickens react when they see jazz or Jack ,as well as when their big poppa pepper (
1f62b.png
such a brave roo ) sacrificed his self for the flock ...the girls tried roosting up on the loft floor above the coop ,or on ladders ...high up,but not "trapped" for at least a few days after peppers passing .and they throw a freak out fit when they see one of the boys, which I dont let happen ...a few scares and one near death experiment for Pooby ,my white silkie hen . That was an ordeal...lemme tell ya....
1f600.png
just kidding I'll stop at this;
Cover all sides of your coop,put a window in ,or vents at least ...install a covered ,but open run attached to the side of coop and make sure lock down is just that ;) they see it,they fear it...
If they feel secure,they'll roost easy and you won't have to climb trees every night
1f44d-1f3fd.png

Sorry again for the novel .
1f423.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom