Chicks are lost in the mail. :( USPS has no idea where they are.

aknewlin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
We just completing our first year of being a chicken family. It's been very rewarding! We wanted to add more chickens to our flock, and wanted some specialty chickens that we found online at mypetchicken.com.

The order shipped Tuesday (18 FEB 2014), and tracking shows the box did depart Cleveland, Ohio's Sort Facility. It was "guaranteed" to arrive Thursday by 3 PM because it was shipped priority mail express 2-day. After reading other threads about USPS, I know that the guarantee means nothing, but I was hoping.

Well, the USPS confirmed that they lost the order. They can't track it and they have no idea where it went. I called several times and went to talk to my local post office folks in person, and as of 4 PM Friday, no one knows where the shipment is. This is day three, and we all know that means that the chances of survival are getting slimmer by the minute.

It makes me very sad to think about chicks starving to death because the USPS can't track a box properly. The USPS says that the tracking number is for "product and tracking information." Even our local post office told me that if the box had arrived at another sort facility (like Indianapolis), it would have shown on the tracking.

I called My Pet Chicken, and they were appalled. They immediately put in a new order for us. It wasn't their fault, but they provided good customer service to make it right. They also warned us that the box may still arrive, and to not be surprised if they are all (or most) are dead.

Has anyone else has had trouble with boxes not arriving this week? Or was it just a fluke with us? I don't want to go through this again. It's breaking my heart.

My condolences,very heartbreaking situation. Yes,they are still your baby chicks,even if you never saw them.

They have not gone unloved or unknown b/c you and your family will remembered them for being here,even if a very short time. We all now know about the little missing box of chicks that never found their way home and we are saddened at this loss.

While they have passed from this life into the next,this is in memory of all those little boxes of missing chicks that never made it to their homes,the homes where joy and love awaited them.

Sweet dreams little ones,you are all remembered for being here,even if it was just for a moment.

~Mia

So at 7:18 this morning i got a text message from my mail lady "penny" as she said you have baby chicks here would you like to come get them? so i responded yes ill be there soon...she said please come to the back carrier door when u get here... hurry hopped outta bed opened my kids room door "get dressed they are here!" so we jumped in the car went to the carrier back door (as we were told) and got them hurried them into the warm car and brought them home... when we opened the box i was very happy to find 5 "HEALTHY" chicks.. all present and accounted for! What a GREAT pleasent experiance!! i will post the video of it shortly... in the chickensforbackyards.com experiance thread

Wow so sorry.......I ordered from mcmurray for march 3rd. My husband and I drove 5 1/2 hours to Iowa to get them. I was so upset when they told me on the phone that the duckling order (for the same week) is being shipped from Nevada!!?? So I could not pick them up along with the chicks! I called my post office in Sheridan to let them know that they would be coming. OMG I got serious attitude?! Last year I picked them up at the back door right when the truck arrived. In and out. This lady says that I CAN NOT do that because blah blah blah they have to sort the truck etc etc. WHAT! I said its freezing out! She told me its warm in their building and they open at 8;30. She obviously has NO heart for living things! I would not have placed this order if I knew they were in Nevada. With the cold snap that we have this year, I don't need her power trip attitude. If they are dead I will freak. I will be there at 7 am when the truck arrives. please cross your fingers that my little runners get here alive.
I'd call the supervisor and bypass Ms. Attitude. I was able to go to their loading dock and get my ducklings as soon as the truck arrived.

Nutri-drench--is that the same as Sav-a-chick? A powder that you put in their water? Or do you dropper it into them? I'm awaiting some chicks by mail due to arrive mid-April in Utah. I'm getting really worried about having to revive them! Advice anyone?
Prolly push out the date.. as im from utah i wouldnt have them delievered there until the end of may.. cause even around easter there is snow.. but thats just me... i lived in logan.. so im giving you my personal word of advice.. call them and ask to push out the date if they can.

Nutri-drench--is that the same as Sav-a-chick? A powder that you put in their water? Or do you dropper it into them? I'm awaiting some chicks by mail due to arrive mid-April in Utah. I'm getting really worried about having to revive them! Advice anyone?

Nutri-Drench is some vitamin supplement, I think it has molasses in it. I've never had success reviving a chick that was on it's side, but some that were lethargic, faces down, have come around. I got it from TSC for about $7. I drop it on their beaks if they look really poorly, or in the water diluted for all the other chicks.

Wishing I had pushed out the date.
My chicks hatched on Friday (2/28) and were shipped USPS Sat. (3/1)12:27am. The last scan was in St. Paul, MN. (Departed (3/2) sometime after between (5am-8am)
We went to the PO yesterday, nothing. Woke up at 2am this morning praying for an email telling me they were in Nashville, again nothing. Called the 800 number for USPS and after 5min of telling a stupid computer that I wanted customer service I was put on hold for 45min no one ever answered. Had the Hubby swing by the PO, still nothing. Called the 800 number again was on hold nearly 30 min and finally someone answered. The lady was very nice and understanding of the urgency of finding these chicks. I was emphatic about the fact that today is D day for my chicks. If I don't get them today they will die. The most she could do though was give a case number and that they would investigate and that with my order being live animals (baby chicks). They may get back to me today.
This is so disheartening! I have been looking forward to getting my babies for 2 months now. And although I know that it's not McMurray's fault I very well may not order from there again just because I've seen quite a few sad stories about USPS employees in that area unable to provide a safe delivery system. Think it may be best in the future for me to find someone mor local.

Ok, you need a small bottle of Poultry Drench. About 7.00 at Tractor Supply. If they don't have any
you can use Goat Nutri-Drench Or Pet Nutri-Drops ( for small pet under 25 lbs. and newborns). These products are mainlined into the bloodstream
and don't need digesting. If your chicks can be saved upon arrival, these products will do it. See the
BYC thread in this forum called" How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks".
No, Nutri-Drench is different from Sav-A- Chick. PND is patented. http://www.jefferspet.com/images/label/16796.htm
http://nutridrench.com/poultry-1.html
One drop per chick by mouth as needed. Then put in their drinking water as directed.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Good news!!!!
My chicks did not get lost in the mail. Due to the weather the chicks never made it on the plane in MN and they were sent back to the hatchery. They say that all chicks returned from airport are safe and have been cared for. Unfortunately I have to wait till next week for my chicks now, as they can't send the same ones so I must wait for a new hatch on Friday.

My first pic... I hope I did it correctly. The app is giving me problems.

Back
Top Bottom