Chicks behind on their development?

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
These are my first chickens. A black australorp, buff brahma and a dominique. I was told they were 7 weeks old when I got them. Now they're 10 weeks old.

I wonder if they're younger than what I was told or if they're developing just fine. Other videos and pics I've seen online show 10 week old chicks without any fuzz. Mine still have some fuzz around their necks and heads. My australorp still has some white on her head but it is getting more and more black by the day. Today I noticed two feathers that shine green in the sun. They all have the "pins" where new feathers are about to come in (around their head and necks, their butts, under their wings). They all started a molt 1 to 1.5 weeks ago. They're active and healthy. They hadn't been wormed when I got them. Since that was the case, I gave them wazine and then 10 days later, I followed up with valbazen (In case I didn't spell it correctly, it's the wormer that starts with a V and kills all worms). They had some questionable bloody poop a week after I got them, so I treated them with corid just in case.
I've been feeding them a Dumor starter-grower (20%). The run is open during the day so they go out into the yard as they please for grass and bugs. They get a daily mealworm treat.
They act healthy and run around being happy chickens with good appetites. I just wonder if they're really 10 weeks old. What do you think?

It's hard to get good pics of them. They're always running around lol! Hubby thinks they've more than doubled in size. They've grown but I don't think they've grown that much. Anyone know a range of weight they should be in? Maybe weight would be more objective.

Thanks for any help you provide. Since they're my first ones, I don't know how they should be developing and just want to make sure they're healthy. :)

Supposed to be 10 weeks here (the coop is made of 2x4's for size comparison).

This was 7 weeks (I have roughly normal size hands):

they look perfectly fine to me. I wouldn't worry about their health either. unless they show signs of problems they will probably be ok. I've had chickens only 1 1/2 yr now. they're free range. the only medication they've gotten has been their medicated chick starter. all animals will have a parasite load to some degree. the question is; are they healthy and strong, or are they weakened & needing interference from us.
good luck with your pretty babies

The brahma in this picture looks about the size of my five week old. Your dates could be off a little, but not too much. Brahmas do tend to develop slower than others so don't worry if it has a little head fuzz left. The good news is all of your birds look to be female if that's what you were going for :)

they look perfectly fine to me. I wouldn't worry about their health either. unless they show signs of problems they will probably be ok. I've had chickens only 1 1/2 yr now. they're free range. the only medication they've gotten has been their medicated chick starter. all animals will have a parasite load to some degree. the question is; are they healthy and strong, or are they weakened & needing interference from us.
good luck with your pretty babies

I treated for cocci only because, from reading on here, that it can kill them so quickly. I didn't want to take a chance.

The brahma in this picture looks about the size of my five week old. Your dates could be off a little, but not too much. Brahmas do tend to develop slower than others so don't worry if it has a little head fuzz left. The good news is all of your birds look to be female if that's what you were going for :)

Yep, I wanted all girls! Had to offset the male cat, two male dogs and the male hubby, lol! The Dominique also has some head fuzz left as well.

In your picture, they look like my five week old BR's. maybe a tad less....but look healthy with a lot of vigor! The only feathers mine still are working on, except one of my cockerels, is under their wings and mine are half feathered there. I don't have great pics, but will post a few so you can compare.

this one is on my hand and this pic is almost 5 weeks pullet

this is one of my cockerels, pic same time that's a hanging gallon water container

Thanks everyone!

I guess the only way to really guess their age is when they start laying. If the australorp waits until she's "24" weeks then I'll know the age was wrong, lol!

Back
Top Bottom