One of two 4 year old heirloom hens just died yesterday, can I integrate 5 week old babies I have now?

Foundrychicj

Hatching
May 21, 2024
I have my chicken love Kylo hen who is a 4 year old Dominique.
We just lost our other hen yesterday princess laya to what appears to be a standard chicken heart attack. We have 3 - 5 week old baby chicks I got 5 weeks ago as day old chicks. Can I start integrating them now early? Kylo is a broody sweet girl who used to get bullied and finally got all her feathers back with just the other hen this past 6 months.
We just moved in January and it’s already 83 during the day but it drops down to the high 60s at night so I thought If I just bring the babies back inside for next week at night they will maybe be ok to run around the large run with the elder hen increasing number of hours per day?

I’ve never integrated a flock before.

You will need to pen them first so the hens become familiar with seeing them. I usually just section off a bit of the run and put the chicks out during the day. Do that for a week or so and than prop the fence up or open it up and let them mingle under supervision to see how the hens react. Do supervised mingling until you feel comfortable leaving them out. If possible provide an area the chicks can get away from the hens if needed. Something to go under or through so the hens can't follow.

I like to be pretty cautious. Every flock and set up is different.

The above is a good general approach. Since you noted the surviving hen was the lower bird in ranking, don't be surprised if she's more aggressive to the chicks. But since she'll be well outnumbered by the chicks the babies should find it easier to flee from her as long as there's some clutter around, as well as a second feeder so she can't guard it.

Your chicks are old enough to be without a heat source especially in the temps you mentioned. How easy your integration will be, will all depend on your hen's attitude. You describe her as broody (not sure if that was just an expression). Some broodies will collect all chicks in sight while others will attack all chicks that were not hatched under them. Personally I would handle your situation with a put them in and monitor how it goes. If the hen tries to attack make a fence that babies can go in and out of. If she ignores (or mothers them) no need to bother with the fence.

I have my chicken love Kylo hen who is a 4 year old Dominique.
We just lost our other hen yesterday princess laya to what appears to be a standard chicken heart attack. We have 3 - 5 week old baby chicks I got 5 weeks ago as day old chicks. Can I start integrating them now early? Kylo is a broody sweet girl who used to get bullied and finally got all her feathers back with just the other hen this past 6 months.
We just moved in January and it’s already 83 during the day but it drops down to the high 60s at night so I thought If I just bring the babies back inside for next week at night they will maybe be ok to run around the large run with the elder hen increasing number of hours per day?

I’ve never integrated a flock before.
I am kind of in the same situation, I have one hen that was scalped by my two other hens. They have been rehomed after several attempts to fix the bullying. She was alone to heal and babies were not big enough to integrate. Babies are almost 8 weeks and I have been putting them in the run with her for a week, and before that she was able to see them outside the run. I tried a small small area for them to go thru into run and go back when chased by her. She also pecks their backs,I also tried to have them all free range as well. But she tried to pin one down. So I'm back to look no touch for a longer period.

You will need to pen them first so the hens become familiar with seeing them. I usually just section off a bit of the run and put the chicks out during the day. Do that for a week or so and than prop the fence up or open it up and let them mingle under supervision to see how the hens react. Do supervised mingling until you feel comfortable leaving them out. If possible provide an area the chicks can get away from the hens if needed. Something to go under or through so the hens can't follow.

I like to be pretty cautious. Every flock and set up is different.
I've had my 15 8 week old chicks penned next to my 4 year old hens for 2 weeks. Yesterday morning I made an opening big enough for the chicks to go through but too small for the hens. A couple chicks have ventured in with the older ones but they are chased back into their little area. My question is should I just make all the chicks go in the the older ones all at once or just let them decide on their own? I need to get them all in one area soon before we go on vacation..

I've had my 15 8 week old chicks penned next to my 4 year old hens for 2 weeks. Yesterday morning I made an opening big enough for the chicks to go through but too small for the hens. A couple chicks have ventured in with the older ones but they are chased back into their little area. My question is should I just make all the chicks go in the the older ones all at once or just let them decide on their own? I need to get them all in one area soon before we go on vacation..
I personally wouldn't push them. The young ones will eventually be tolerated.

I personally wouldn't push them. The young ones will eventually be tolerated.
x2. Give them the openings (and make sure they know how to use them) but let them decide when and how often to come out. Some birds will be more confident than others, some may hang back. But they should be allowed to progress at their own speed.

Back
Top Bottom