Chicks eating pine shavings in brooder---ok?

I've had about 20 sets of baby chicks. I use paper towel for a day or so, really so it's easier to see who is pooping properly. I then put them on shavings and haven't lost a single chick. So if they eat them, it's not enough to matter.

I'm with the majority....pine shavings from the start. I'm not quite sure that the whole 'why take the chance' view holds water because you could say that about a lot of things in life...and chickens. If we are scared about every single little possibility that -could- occur, we'd go mad! =-)

I too notice that my 7 chicks eat quite a bit of shavings. I think they like it, and I can only assume its nutritious for them; like grass and sticks to dogs. Heck maybe if you tried it you'd like them too.

Anyways, I also have the chicks set up in the kitchen in an old dog crate with the top removed for easy access. I put a sheet in the crate below the pan to keep the shavings in, and elevate the water and food to try to help keep the shavings out.

I have photos of the setup, but the forum won't let me attach them or link them at the time. I'll try to post them to my profile here somehow.

Edit: Here it is! I put a board across the top to keep it warmer by reducing the draftiness.

87105_0417111345a.jpg

Inside
87105_0417111357a.jpg

Last edited:
I just put PINE shavings into the brooder with 3 week old chicks and they are having a ball kicking it everywhere. From what I've read on this post I don't need to worry about them eating it but they are kicking it into the water bowl. Will that be ok if they're drinking water that has pine shavings in it? I will clean it as much as possible but tomorrow I'll be gone for several hours

No matter what age they'll still probably try to peck it until they realize it's not food :tongue I keep hatched babies on towels just to make sure their pooping. Then I let them in shavings. That might be later the next day, or two days. I haven't had a problem. ;)

I just put PINE shavings into the brooder with 3 week old chicks and they are having a ball kicking it everywhere. From what I've read on this post I don't need to worry about them eating it but they are kicking it into the water bowl. Will that be ok if they're drinking water that has pine shavings in it? I will clean it as much as possible but tomorrow I'll be gone for several hours

I lay kitchen roll on mine for the first week( go through a roll a day!) but get them used to what is food and what isn't plus keeps water clean
Drinking water with shavings in won't hurt them but it might soak up all the water

I have learned a lot from my first hatch two weeks ago. I liked that I had them on towels for several days because I wanted to see what they were pooping, and i could just fold a couple of layers of towls and lay it over what was in the brooder..presto, new fresh floor instantly! After about 5 days, I put everyone in a box out in a warm sunny spot (horrors! LOL!) and scrubbed and sanitized the brooder tub and put down pine shavings. They were freaked out for a bit, but they learned to like it. THEN i learned to set their water and food on one paper towel over that section of shavings to slow the rate at wich they fill their water and food with kicked around shavings because I have to go to work and leave them.

I have probably made horrible mistakes, but all 16 chicks are just as happy and healthy as can be!

One thing I have learned from putting a few concerns on this forum is that we (I) tend to over-think things and worry too much. The forum members here are very good about putting worries in their place! It's very reassuring!

Back
Top Bottom