Chicks hasn’t grown

Speedyfth

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I have a barred oegb hen that hasn’t grown much but has all her feathers. She was with others chicks that have grown just fine. What might be the problem? She is the little one in the first pick and there is a rooster in the second pick that is the same age. They are 9 weeks old

Attachments

• DFAE6A61-E2BE-4238-BFDF-31FC68B53440.jpeg
    DFAE6A61-E2BE-4238-BFDF-31FC68B53440.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 5677509E-1181-42B6-86C7-4EFD8DB46E4F.jpeg
    5677509E-1181-42B6-86C7-4EFD8DB46E4F.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 17
I have a barred oegb hen that hasn’t grown much but has all her feathers. She was with others chicks that have grown just fine. What might be the problem? She is the little one in the first pick and there is a rooster in the second pick that is the same age. They are 9 weeks old
Make sure that even though she’s the runt, she’s still getting access to food.

Also, don’t compare her size/weight to the other orp you said was a roo.

Make sure she’s got access to food and water, is acting right, and there’s not much more you can do. Some are slow growers and some will never be as big as the others.

Make sure that even though she’s the runt, she’s still getting access to food.

Also, don’t compare her size/weight to the other orp you said was a roo.

Make sure she’s got access to food and water, is acting right, and there’s not much more you can do. Some are slow growers and some will never be as big as the others.
She is eating fine doesn’t get picked on at all. But I mean she is really small compared to the others. She doesn’t act sick either. I just wanted to know if there was a problem with her genetically?

She is eating fine doesn’t get picked on at all. But I mean she is really small compared to the others. She doesn’t act sick either. I just wanted to know if there was a problem with her genetically?
I can’t speak to “genetically”. I have an amarucana that is probably 2 lbs smaller than her flock mates. I have a bsl that’s probably a pound heavier.

Guess the question then is, what are you going for?

If you’re looking for typical or superior “genes”, maybe you don’t want to hatch her eggs. But just because she’s slow to grow, probably nothing wrong with her per se.

I can’t speak to “genetically”. I have an amarucana that is probably 2 lbs smaller than her flock mates. I have a bsl that’s probably a pound heavier.

Guess the question then is, what are you going for?

If you’re looking for typical or superior “genes”, maybe you don’t want to hatch her eggs. But just because she’s slow to grow, probably nothing wrong with her per se.
Not going for looks or anything. Was just wondering if something was wrong with her. I’ve raised up chicks before and never had one this small. The picture doesn’t do it justice. Just curious is all. Thanks for the info.

Not going for looks or anything. Was just wondering if something was wrong with her. I’ve raised up chicks before and never had one this small. The picture doesn’t do it justice. Just curious is all. Thanks for the info.
If you’re just looking for a layer, I’d say give her a shot. The amarucana I mentioned had been reliable for three years now. They aren’t huge eggs, med to large, but regular.

I say again, it depends on what you’re looking for. My flock takes all comers, and even if she’s small, if she makes eggs I’ve got roost space for her.

There's nothing wrong with her if her appearance is smaller compared to others. Generally there are runt with all chicken breeds and sizes. It happens on occasion due to one or both parent not being in optimal health which can affect the eggs or sperm or both.

Back
Top Bottom