Chicks Keep Dying - any ideas?

LadyEquus

Hatching
7 Years
May 4, 2012
I've been trying to research what is wrong with my chicks and my searching keeps bringing me to this blog. So I decided I better ask you knowledgeable people if you have any suggestions.

We have successfully done chicks in the past many times, but the last two batches had been quite frustrating and I don't know why. I do know we used to use medicated water, but that is the only difference I can think of.

This time around there has been approximately 1-2 chicks dying per day since the day I opened the box. The first two we figured were just the normal, because often a few are lost, but now it just keeps going!
barnie.gif
We got them on Sunday so we've had them about 5 days. I was wanting to do a natural batch of chickens for meat birds so we didn't get any vaccinations and aren't doing the medicated feed or water. I thought I could give them a healthy environment where they would be fine.

I've found that one of the chicks will slowly loose it's energy, have white-only stool, then sprawl on the ground and eventually after a while, it will die. It is so frustrating and sad to watch this happen over and over!!! It doesn't seem to be coccidia from what I've heard (no bloody stool) so that is ruled out.

I was also planning on using a simpler chick feed and make my own. I heard of someone who fed their chicks only oats. I did this for the first day, but then thought better of it and added some linseed oil meal, barley, and wheat bran. They have had fresh water 2-4 times a day and the longest they have gone without clean bedding is 2 days. I also have been giving them a handful of fresh grass, dandelion greens, mint, and lemon balm. I know they don't do much with it, but I want them to be exposed to it. The lemon balm I occasionally also tear and put in their water to let it soak so they would get the good qualities of the plant. I also added sugar to their water a couple times the first few days (we haven't done that before, but the hatchery said to....not too sure if I should have done that). I put them outside on 2 toasty days, giving them access to both sun and shade two days in hopes it would help. They ARE raised outside by their mammas naturally after all..... The first day none died and I got excited, but the next day it continued
sad.png
. I also realized a few days in that DUH they need some grit if they aren't eating the commercial feed. So I just started the bake-egg-shells-and-crush thing. But I'm confident that this isn't the problem either because the first one was sickly from straight out of the box - though I didn't check that one over very thoroughly since I wasn't too concerned at that point, so maybe that one died of something else??? I don't know.....

They have their hear lamp of course, and steady food and water. Please give me some suggestions or questions for more info. I'm at a loss. THREE of my babies died today!!!! Including the one that was my favorite because of the unique coloring!!
barnie.gif
I just read on this forum that people have been giving their birds kombucha for the pro-biotics. We've got some kefir so I'm going to give some of that to them. I have high hopes for that. Pro-biotics are nifty little boogers.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to read my frustrations and help me out!!

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is that something is missing from their diet. The white only poop isn't good and suggests that there is nothing else getting through their systems. I hope someone else can be more specific.

I would switch over to a medicated starter feed now. Obviously they're missing something and the homemade version isn't providing what they need.

Klmclain1: Thing is, the first one was dying when I opened the box. So maybe the mix isn't angelic like a commercial feed, but that is obviously not the issue. I'm convinced it's a disease of sorts.

Chicken_Pauper: Nope, no cedar shavings.

Edit: The chick poo is normal until right before they die.

Last edited:
Often times there are a couple who don't make it after shipping. They'll be dying or at least weak upon arrival. The first death or two may or may not be related to your issue. At any rate, the "medicated" feed might "medicate" whatever is making them sick. I know you want them to be totally natural, but right now they're not even living. It's worth a try to at least get them through this then you can go back to your natural diet. I would hope it's worth their lives.

Do not feed them eggshells. Those are not for grit, they are for added calcium, something chicks should NOT have. They need granite grit. If you have sandy soil or a gravel driveway, sift out some of that for them.

Their diet is not complete, seems to me. They need 18-24% protein, with animal protein for the best start in life. Eggs are good for added animal protein. It's their first actual food, as yolk is drawn into the body just before hatch. Obviously, what you're doing is not working. If you want organic, get some good organic chick starter before you lose more of them.

Last edited:
They might just need a vitamin boost... I would suggest giving them some Polyvisol, Vitamin E with Selenium and Vitamin B-12 but I'm thinking a lot of that isn't organic and that seems to be your goal. Perhaps a health food store would have organic versions of these?

I've been trying to research what is wrong with my chicks and my searching keeps bringing me to this blog. So I decided I better ask you knowledgeable people if you have any suggestions.

Having read your entire post, they are dying due to starvation. They are carnivores and therefore need meat protein. Their bodies require protein in order to thrive and grow. I suggest you dump the garbage you are feeding them, buy some chick starter and feed them free choice as much as they want. Stop the egg shells because that is for calcium and they are nowhere near old enough to require the extra calcium.

I've found that one of the chicks will slowly loose it's energy, have white-only stool, then sprawl on the ground and eventually after a while, it will die. It is so frustrating and sad to watch this happen over and over!!! It doesn't seem to be coccidia from what I've heard (no bloody stool) so that is ruled out.

Read the symptomology of starvation

I was also planning on using a simpler chick feed and make my own. I heard of someone who fed their chicks only oats.

Simple...very go buy a bag of medicated or unmedicated....Purina makes an organic starter as do others.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to read my frustrations and help me out!!

It is never wise to attempt to make a feed when you have no idea what the animals eats. You are trying to force them to eat things that they naturally would avoid such as lemon balm? Read, research, learn or ask for help BEFORE you start killing these chicks with ignorance. Research what they eat and how to care for them.

Last edited:
They might just need a vitamin boost... I would suggest giving them some Polyvisol, Vitamin E with Selenium and Vitamin B-12 but I'm thinking a lot of that isn't organic and that seems to be your goal. Perhaps a health food store would have organic versions of these?
They need FOOD! You do NOT give chicks Selenium much less B and E vitamins on top of poly vi sol WHICH by the way you cannot give them unless it is WITHOUT iron. Where in the world are you people getting this ridiculously stupid information? Do you pick and choose what bits and pieces you will put together? You guys are creating problems that need not exist and certainly that babies do not need to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom