Chicks losing the ability to walk...?

Jaboyd2u

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Branford Fl
I am hatching out a couple different breeds for myself, My problems started about a month ago when I went in the pens I noticed one of my 4-6 week old BLRW was on the floor when I reached down to pick her up she did not even try to move, then once I had her in my hand she started flapping her wings like she was off balance. I sat her back down she could not even walk her feet would go out behind her, she could not reach the water the food nothing so I gave her water and tried to give her food but she would not eat. I seperated her out from the rest of the chicks of the same age, Unfortunatly she did not make it. Every since then I have had 4 other chicks do the same thing, about the same age not all the same breed, (Wheaton Marans, Light Sussex, BLRW) I am not sure what is going on can anyone help with this. We have older birds that are just fine, Oh and we have disinfected the pens and cleaned. Could it be caused by mosquitos? It is really weird that it has just started we have been hatching chicks for many years now and this has NEVER happened, Any input will be welcomed...

Sounds like Mareks. Even if they were vaccinated, if given improperly(not subcuetaneous) they can still get it. It is the chicken form of Shingles and so affects the nerves. If they ae young enough and can survive, they can regain most of nerve function and walk again.

Last edited:
Research Marek's Disease. Good luck.
hugs.gif

Sounds like Marans. Even if they were vaccinated, if given improperly(not subcuetaneous) they can still get it. It is the chicken form of Shingles and so affects the nerves. If they are young enough and can survive, they can regain most of nerve function and walk again

Thanks! I will look into both of these!​

Back
Top Bottom