Chicks with pasty butt

Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
I received 9 chicks from a hatchery, arrived USPS. After I brought them home they had super runny poops, and a few had developed pasty butt. I cleaned them up, and set them back in the brooder. They all started eating and drinking immediately. They seemed healthy, and lively. The next day they all developed a case of pasty butt. I have them all on regular unmedicated chick starter, and drinking rain water. I cleaned the ones with anything blocking their vent, but this morning they all had poop matted in their feathers, and blocking their vents. I've soaked their bottoms in warm water, cleaned them, put coconut oil on and around their vent, and put apple cider vinegar in their water. Their brooder is placed at the appropriate hiegth... It's a "comfort" chicks brooder. Their poops look mostly normal, with a few runny ones occasionally now, but I have noticed it is a little weird smelling. I've never had this issue before, and I've gotten a lot of help dealing with it from the people on here. My question is what is causing it? What can I do to prevent it, rather than just treat it? Could it be from the stress of shipping?

What is the set up that you're giving them rain water? If the set up is not sanitary, the chicks are at risk of getting giardia. It's best to give them tap water. Apple cider vinegar isnt needed.
Weird smelling poop could be cecal poop, it smells terrible. It's normal about every 8-10 droppings. If it's more than that, get your chicks started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution for 5 days.

My waterer is a standard chick waterer (small red bottom with a screw on top). I clean it out every morning, and replace the water, but I don't have access to city water as we live off grid. They're getting the same water we drink. I'll have to start paying attention to which poops smell weird. What is a cecal poop? and would a local feed store have corid?

Back
Top Bottom