Chicks won't go in roost at night

intheredhomestead

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2023
Hi everyone!

Chick newbie here! I just moved my chicks (5-6ish weeks old) outside to their coop/run as the weather is maintaining about 70 to 75 degrees. It's been about 5 days or so. They love it, however I've noticed that they haven't figured out when it gets dark that it's time to go up the slanted ladder to their roost. I go outside at about 9pm and they're all laying together in the run. I know that chickens will be chickens and they can enjoy the outdoors at night, but since they grew up in a brooder I want to teach them that the roost is their sleeping place while they're still young. I have a nice little gentle heating pad in there, in case the temps drop at all at night, and a red light in the roost. I have seen to change it to a brighter light, but am I supposed to keep that on at all times? I've also tried shaking a bag of dried mealworms as a nice little treat to entice them to come up but they REFUSE. They just stretch their necks and look at me from the ground like little weirdos. Right now, I'm just man-handling them into the roost and they freak out every time. I feel bad stressing them out and hope I'm not breaking the trust and bond I'm working on developing with them. Any advice?

I personally would keep the light off at night. As for them not going up to roost, I would keep moving them up by hand until they get the hang of it. Try to make it as quick and non dramatic as possible by just picking them up and dropping them in. If they don't like you moving them, then they'll start moving up by themselves.

I personally would keep the light off at night. As for them not going up to roost, I would keep moving them up by hand until they get the hang of it. Try to make it as quick and non dramatic as possible by just picking them up and dropping them in. If they don't like you moving them, then they'll start moving up by themselves.
Thank you so much! Haha, it is definitely dramatic right now. I have 6 of them and only 2 like to be held so the rest just start squawking once the moving begins. I appreciate your help!

Thank you so much! Haha, it is definitely dramatic right now. I have 6 of them and only 2 like to be held so the rest just start squawking once the moving begins. I appreciate your help!
No problem! I think ignoring their outbursts and moving them in quickly will help! Let us know how it goes! @Charlie Wooster is right on moving them in before dark, too.

Having a light on inside the coop and no light out in the run can help get them to go into the run when it starts getting dark. They are nearly always a bit timid about going into dark places at first. They are a prey animal, and do not see well at night. They will eventually get it, but a lighted coop can speed it up, and especially if you don't have light on outside. If you do have a fairly lighted run either from artificial light, or ambient, they may choose to stay out.

Also, you didn't say how big the coop is, so if it is really small, then the light could be heating it up too much.

Also, you didn't say how big the coop is, so if it is really small, then the light could be heating it up too much.
x2.

Couple things going on here (and photos of your set up would help):
- What's the angle on the ramp? Have you seen the chicks using it reliably? Chickens do not naturally use ramps, so if you have not trained them to use it, they may ignore it.
- Is the coop spacious, naturally well lit and ventilated with at least 1 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 in moderate climate, up to 2-3x that in a hotter climate?
- If there are no adult chickens and the coop matches the description just above, have you tried simply locking them in for a week to home them to the coop? Note that this is only recommended IF you have the floor space, at least minimal ventilation and natural light, and moderate day time temperatures.
- Your chicks are old enough (and it's certainly warm enough) that they don't need the auxiliary heat from the heating pad nor the added heat of a heat lamp. You may be unintentionally overheating them which would cause them to not want to be inside.

x2.

Couple things going on here (and photos of your set up would help):
- What's the angle on the ramp? Have you seen the chicks using it reliably? Chickens do not naturally use ramps, so if you have not trained them to use it, they may ignore it.
- Is the coop spacious, naturally well lit and ventilated with at least 1 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 in moderate climate, up to 2-3x that in a hotter climate?
- If there are no adult chickens and the coop matches the description just above, have you tried simply locking them in for a week to home them to the coop? Note that this is only recommended IF you have the floor space, at least minimal ventilation and natural light, and moderate day time temperatures.
- Your chicks are old enough (and it's certainly warm enough) that they don't need the auxiliary heat from the heating pad nor the added heat of a heat lamp. You may be unintentionally overheating them which would cause them to not want to be inside.
Ditto All Dat^^^

No problem! I think ignoring their outbursts and moving them in quickly will help! Let us know how it goes! @Charlie Wooster is right on moving them in before dark, too.
ah okay, I may be confusing them by waiting until it's dusk before I move them in. They're getting a bit better but still just hanging out in the run by the time I go out there.

Back
Top Bottom