Chicks won't go in roost at night

x2.

Couple things going on here (and photos of your set up would help):
- What's the angle on the ramp? Have you seen the chicks using it reliably? Chickens do not naturally use ramps, so if you have not trained them to use it, they may ignore it.
- Is the coop spacious, naturally well lit and ventilated with at least 1 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 in moderate climate, up to 2-3x that in a hotter climate?
- If there are no adult chickens and the coop matches the description just above, have you tried simply locking them in for a week to home them to the coop? Note that this is only recommended IF you have the floor space, at least minimal ventilation and natural light, and moderate day time temperatures.
- Your chicks are old enough (and it's certainly warm enough) that they don't need the auxiliary heat from the heating pad nor the added heat of a heat lamp. You may be unintentionally overheating them which would cause them to not want to be inside.
The ramp is at about a 45 degree angle, probably less. I have seen them use it as I've tried to lure them up it with dried mealworms. They struggled at first but I think they're getting the hang of it. The going up seems a bit easier than the "sliding" down it.

The coop itself is probably a 5x5 for 6 chickens, including the run it's a 5x15 or so. They fit in there nicely at the moment! I plan on making it bigger in the next couple of weeks. Still have quite a bit of space for now though while they're still pullets. It has good ventilation but natural light is minimal. It's up against the shed which gives it shade, so it wouldn't be a TON of natural light but it does have some vents and a window. The only reason why I've still kept the heating lamp (which is pointed from the outside), is for when it drops to the 50s at night. But you're right I think I can probably remove it now! I have a temp thermostat that is inside the coop and it is about 63-65 when I check it in the morning, with the lamp on.

Do you think the coop is big enough to leave them in it for a few days with food and water?

The only reason why I've still kept the heating lamp (which is pointed from the outside), is for when it drops to the 50s at night.
I have 4 week olds off heat at mid 40s, so your chicks are past that point of needing it.
Do you think the coop is big enough to leave them in it for a few days with food and water?
Based strictly off the description, you probably can do that because they're young and still small. You may need artificial lighting (not heat) inside during daylight hours if it's too dark for them to see as they will not eat and drink in the dark.

I personally would keep the light off at night. As for them not going up to roost, I would keep moving them up by hand until they get the hang of it. Try to make it as quick and non dramatic as possible by just picking them up and dropping them in. If they don't like you moving them, then they'll start moving up by themselves.
I personally would keep the light off at night. As for them not going up to roost, I would keep moving them up by hand until they get the hang of it. Try to make it as quick and non dramatic as possible by just picking them up and dropping them in. If they don't like you moving them, then they'll start moving up by themselves.
I put my hens on the ladder and kind of encouraged them to go up it so they learned it. It didn't take long. Mine were buddied up so if one went the other wanted to go.

Back
Top Bottom