Chicks wouldn't go in the coop?!

chicklove93

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 17, 2011
NEPA
Last night it was raining so hard and I got home late. When I went to check on the chicks in the coop, I assumed that they would be in there. The 3 week olds were all cuddled up sleeping. But the 6 week old chicks were out cuddle against the fence under the coop? I tried to scare them to the ramp and into the house but they wouldn't budge. I freaked out, I didn't want my girls to get sick!? My husband says they are only chickens! He just doesn't understand
smile.png
. SO I made them a bivouac so no rain or wind would get to them. I went out this morning and they were in the coop and the bivouac was blown to the side.

The babies can be so annoying that way! LOL! Mine are 8 weeks old tomorrow and they won't go in voluntarily at night. They play in the coop during the day and will go in/out of the coop all day long. They love to hang out under the coop and in the run. Then when night time comes the bigs go in and the babies hang around outside chirping as if to say "come put us away momma" - so I do! They've done it for 3 days now. Tomorrow I'm going to leave them in the coop all day long - maybe even keep them there until Saturday and then let them out. Hopefully it will only take a few nights of being locked up in there for them to understand where to go at night.

97463_babies_around_the_coop_007.jpg

Hope your babies figure it out soon too!

Last edited:
I have that problem with new chicks or adult chickens. Just put them in the coop at night and shut it up and they should start going back in there every night. My silkies like being in the rain during the day also.

I've had them lingering outside ever since they started living outside.
lau.gif

It's pretty natural. They get used to it over time, now they're grown up we can stay out till nine or ten, and when we get home they've gone into the coop themselves to roost. You have to give them a bit of a push at first.
tongue.png

Bobbieschicks: Love that picture! My friend and I just had a laugh at the "pileup".
lol.png

Quote:
what kind of area do you live in that you need all the locks ?? if I had to use all that i would move
barnie.gif

Haha! I'm probably overprotective. I have raccoons, fox and possum on our road. I've spotted them all during different times of the day. So I made my locks raccoon proof. Any person can get in because the key is on a hook next to the gate. I used 3 locks on the gate because it wouldn't close without a latch and I had the hardware on hand. We live in a very people safe area.
smile.png

ray's two cents :

I've had them lingering outside ever since they started living outside.
lau.gif

It's pretty natural. They get used to it over time, now they're grown up we can stay out till nine or ten, and when we get home they've gone into the coop themselves to roost. You have to give them a bit of a push at first.
tongue.png

Bobbieschicks: Love that picture! My friend and I just had a laugh at the "pileup".
lol.png

Thanks! They are adorable - I was wrong about their age - they are only 7 weeks old this week - they were born between 10/12 & 10/14 with most hatching on the 13th.​

Back
Top Bottom