chicks

merrylegs

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
I have two lovely eight week old chicks who were running around, first one, then the other, suddenly couldn't walk, I thought they had injured their legs! After checking, there is no broken bones,...they just stumble around ... poo,normal, appetite, normal ... I have them together, in the house and feed them growers crumb. Could this be rickets, I have never seen it before? Culling them is not an option, they are not in pain ... I put poultry tonic in their water and gave them mealworms for extra protein, they love them!
Can anyone advise me please.
sad.png

Thank you, but I hope it doesn't kill them! One seems to be able to stand a bit more, but the other is just the same, wobbling about! They seem contented enough, and have each other for company, eating and drinking well. The ten other chicks all seem fine, they all hatched at the same time. I will continue to watch them to see if they improve and make sure they are taking enough food. How would they have got the paralysis you mentioned, Is there anything I can do to keep the rest of the chicks safe. I also have three one week old chicks, still with their Mamas of course!
I'll update the out come, I don't think the vet can help, but I will check with them.

It has been a long time since i read about range paralysis so cant give you a definate answer if it is from the ground or air born. I have never had this problem. I would do a Google search to find out the facts. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do for them. Not so sure now that it is RP .Good luck hope they get better.

I don't know if this will help u @ all, I'm new to raising chickens, but we had gotten 2 silkies & both were wobbly. One day I found one had passed away & then few weeks after that (old enough to move out of brooder by this point) the other got wooblier & then all of the sudden couldn't stand. I took it to vet & he told me that the tendons had come off ( u could actually see it to the side)..I asked if it could be fixed, or would grow back if some kinda little cast was put on , but vet said unfortunately no. He said it doesn't happen often but nothing can be done.. It was so sad. Unfortunately ended up leaving vet w/o the chic
1f625.png

I don't know if this helps u @ all & I wish it would of had a better out come to tell ab, but @ very least maybe something u can rule out.. Good luck to ur little guys! Hopefully it's something they can over come & walk again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your help Weatherdwings ...I have done the search, apart from giving them vit.B2 and vit.E, nothing can be done for them, but while they are perky, and eating, I will keep them comfortable. I just love them, they are in their ninth week, but they are such little characters!
As I have them in the house, I can keep a close eye on them, if they are outside they starve to death, according to the research!! There are so many wild birds that come down and feed from the hens food, so any one of them could have contaminated their water or food. These are the first chicks I have bred myself! They were all so healthy till now .... I'm hoping none of the other chicks will be affected! ( I have thirteen more) I had so many hens went broody at the same time, I have nine rescue hens and a flock of assorted Bantams. I just want one silky, and that will complete my flock.
So sorry to hear what happened to your silkies, it is amazing how attached we get to our chickens, how many do you have and which breed?

frow.gif
bye for now.

I had two 6 week olds come up unable to walk the day after I brought them home. They hobbled around by using their wings and hoping. No sign of injury on foot/leg/hip. I put them both in a large dog crate with their own food and water because the other guys were stepping on them. They stayed in there for 2-3 weeks and now they run around with everyone. I do believe this was an injury and not a disease as none of the others showed symptoms and my "cripples" ate and drank like normal. I did clean their vents a few times because they didn't stand up to poop so it was stuck to their feathers. Hope this helps you!

Last edited:
Thank you you so much L KY C ... That gives me so much hope, I was thinking of putting my two out with the others as the weather is nice now. I have a large rabbit cage, so none of the bigger hens will bother them, but they will be able to see each other. my babies are looking good, and even stand up to poop, so no vent washing as yet. They are from my very first hatching, so they are very special to me ... from the two Mama hens, I got twelve gorgeous chicks.

jumpy.gif

I hope they heal up for you! I just got my first shipment of mail order babies so I know how attached you can get to them! I've known these guys for less than a day and I'm already attached!

Thanks ... I know what you mean, I just love my little guys! They are still perky, though unable to walk, so today I exercised their little legs. I put them on their backs and gave twenty push and pull on each leg, very gently of course, they enjoyed, it as they fell asleep, I will do it again this evening. How are your new babies, they are so adorable when they are tiny.
love.gif

Is keeping chickens a popular hobby in Kentucky?

jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom