Christmas 2014 Hatch-a-Long (12-25-14)

Thank you lol let's both hope it goes well, going on Day 16. Locking down day after tomorrow and bringing the brooder inside. Well keep in touch.

I was gone for less than 24 hours, and I even had someone flip my eggs for me while I was gone but my 3 eggs are all dead. First thing I always do is check the thermometer before opening the incubator lid and when I checked it, it quickly started beeping fast and the screen read "H" for high. I'm rather positive the thermometer gets up to 106° before saying High. I don't know how long it was high for and my husband did not inform my flipper to check the temperature. So, pretty much, I cooked my babies. I am so terribly heartbroken. And on my way back home, I just spent $30 on everything for their brooder box. I just don't know what else to do.

I was gone for less than 24 hours, and I even had someone flip my eggs for me while I was gone but my 3 eggs are all dead. First thing I always do is check the thermometer before opening the incubator lid and when I checked it, it quickly started beeping fast and the screen read "H" for high. I'm rather positive the thermometer gets up to 106° before saying High. I don't know how long it was high for and my husband did not inform my flipper to check the temperature. So, pretty much, I cooked my babies. I am so terribly heartbroken. And on my way back home, I just spent $30 on everything for their brooder box. I just don't know what else to do.

Oh no that's terrible. I'm very sorry you lost your hatch. Are you positive their gone? Sometimes you just don't see movement at first, but a few hours later you could see something.

I do hope you have better luck with your next chickens, I would gladly give you some of my hatch if you weren't so far away.

Again, very sorry :(

Update: my neighbor gave me 3 Rhode Island Red eggs! BUT they're all 3 in different stages. According to the shadows I candled, one looks shadowed enough to be in lockdown mode. One looks like it might be 2 weeks along or a few days shy of it. The 3rd one just had this small black dot that I believe tells me it may be on day 2! Agh. I'm just going to trust my gut with this and we will see what happens. What trials and tribulations this beginner has to go through. Whew!!

Will be day 17 here in just a couple hours. Locking down tomorrow night at 8:00. 17 babies still looking good, ready to see how it goes. Can't wait!!!

Update: my neighbor gave me 3 Rhode Island Red eggs! BUT they're all 3 in different stages. According to the shadows I candled, one looks shadowed enough to be in lockdown mode. One looks like it might be 2 weeks along or a few days shy of it. The 3rd one just had this small black dot that I believe tells me it may be on day 2! Agh. I'm just going to trust my gut with this and we will see what happens. What trials and tribulations this beginner has to go through. Whew!!

That's good to hear. Your neighbor has a very staggered hatch going on. Keep us posted in what happens :)

That's good to hear. Your neighbor has a very staggered hatch going on. Keep us posted in what happens :)
Yes! It's actually a neighbor a ways down the road. My next door neighbor is closer to her than I am. She went down the road and picked up the eggs for me. She says "do you know just how many chickens miss Tammy has? They're literally everywhere" haha!
Good luck.
Thank you!! I'll take all the good luck I can get! :D

Sorry to hear about the incubator mishap. Sometimes those things happen. My last hatch was chaos. The temp bottomed out on me in the middle of lockdown. Only three of the the seven eggs hatched with one of the hatched chicks dying within the first week. It can be very heart breaking. I am glad that your neighbor three eggs so you could keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom