Christmas 2014 Hatch-a-Long (12-25-14)

Good evening everyone. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.
I have some exciting news. Lockdown has begun! (at least for us) There are eleven eggs in lockdown! Although, it would seem at least one of the chicks is ready to hatch now. I had just candled and turned all the eggs for the last time, when I left to get some more water to up the humidity. Upon my return one of the eggs is wiggling hard, as if there is a dance party going on inside the egg. LOL!
However, I am concerned for two of the eggs. For the most part all the eggs are almost completely dark except for the air sack. All, that is, except two. There is lots of activity inside the eggs, but the shadows are still only taking up about half the egg. They are marked and I will just have to keep a close watch on them. I will probably give them a few extra days in lockdown. Here's hoping that they are just late bloomers.

Good Luck @wornoutmomto3 !

I have a question if anyone can answer it.

Can a Olive/Easter Egger roo who has no beard or muffs, but had a parent with a beard/muff. Pass Muffs or a beard onto their chicks?

(If no one can answer this I'll end up waiting to see if I have so extra bearded chicks if they hatch)

I was gone for less than 24 hours, and I even had someone flip my eggs for me while I was gone but my 3 eggs are all dead. First thing I always do is check the thermometer before opening the incubator lid and when I checked it, it quickly started beeping fast and the screen read "H" for high. I'm rather positive the thermometer gets up to 106° before saying High. I don't know how long it was high for and my husband did not inform my flipper to check the temperature. So, pretty much, I cooked my babies. I am so terribly heartbroken. And on my way back home, I just spent $30 on everything for their brooder box. I just don't know what else to do.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad you got a couple new eggs. Like someone else already said, don't assume they are dead without giving them some time. It would take a long time for the eggs to raise their temp that much. My eggs are really hard to see movement in at this point, sometimes it takes several different candlings to see anything. I've almost thrown a couple out only to find them swimming around like crazy in the egg the next day.

wee.gif
1 more day until Lockdown
wee.gif

Everyone take lots of pictures.

I still haven't set up my brooder box yet. Am I the only person who thinks that would jinx the hatch?

I cant wait for this to be over because I am getting nothing done. Even when I'm at work I am a mess. If I were my boss I would have fired me by now.

Update: my neighbor gave me 3 Rhode Island Red eggs! BUT they're all 3 in different stages. According to the shadows I candled, one looks shadowed enough to be in lockdown mode. One looks like it might be 2 weeks along or a few days shy of it. The 3rd one just had this small black dot that I believe tells me it may be on day 2! Agh. I'm just going to trust my gut with this and we will see what happens. What trials and tribulations this beginner has to go through. Whew!!

I, too, am sorry for your loss, but thrilled for you that you found some more eggs to hatch so quickly. Try not to be too hard on yourself, or the egg turner. Even when it seems you've done everything correctly, things can go wrong. I guess that's why they say "don't count your chickens..." I do it anyway, and mourn for each one that quits!

Good evening everyone. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.
I have some exciting news. Lockdown has begun! (at least for us) There are eleven eggs in lockdown! Although, it would seem at least one of the chicks is ready to hatch now. I had just candled and turned all the eggs for the last time, when I left to get some more water to up the humidity. Upon my return one of the eggs is wiggling hard, as if there is a dance party going on inside the egg. LOL! 
However, I am concerned for two of the eggs. For the most part all the eggs are almost completely dark except for the air sack. All, that is, except two. There is lots of activity inside the eggs, but the shadows are still only taking up about half the egg. They are marked and I will just have to keep a close watch on them. I will probably give them a few extra days in lockdown. Here's hoping that they are just late bloomers.

Here's hoping they all turn out great. I'm a homeschooler, too, by the way. Good for you having your kids make incubators. I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to try that. I'd be interested to hear what materials they are using, though... and how that all turns out later. :)

:weee 1 more day until  Lockdown:weee

Everyone take lots of pictures. 

I still haven't set up my brooder box yet.  Am I the only person who thinks that would jinx the hatch?

I cant wait for this to be over because I am getting nothing done.  Even when I'm at work I am a mess.  If I were my boss I would have fired me by now.

Me, too! My lockdown doesn't start until midnight between the 23rd and Christmas Eve. Thank goodness I'll be distracted by Christmas, because the wait is excruciating!

Sorry to hear about the eggs KD and best of luck with the new ones. My wife talked me into checking our lone survivor last night and he/she is looking good with a good air sac! She has already named it "Uno". I warned her not to name it before it hatching :)

Back
Top Bottom