Christmas 2014 Hatch-a-Long (12-25-14)

I think it is like 4 days until lock down!..... And I should probably start getting my chick stuff rounded up, then cleaned, cleaned again. And figure out where I will put them if I get any to hatch. This is kinda stressful.

I completely know what you mean! I've still gotta get my chick stuff rounded up, set up, and ready for action! 4 days til lockdown! I am so stoked! These are my first ever chicks. Ever! I have not had a good night's sleep in awhile. All I can think about is those little miracles. I sure hope all 3 of mine hatch out like they're supposed to. I already did an eggtopsy with this batch. For a first timer, that was heartbreaking.

Oh good I'm not the only one xD
Good luck! I've had chicks before several times. But this is not the same.
An Eggtopsy doesn't sound like any fun
hide.gif

I completely know what you mean! I've still gotta get my chick stuff rounded up, set up, and ready for action! 4 days til lockdown! I am so stoked! These are my first ever chicks. Ever! I have not had a good night's sleep in awhile. All I can think about is those little miracles. I sure hope all 3 of mine hatch out like they're supposed to. I already did an eggtopsy with this batch. For a first timer, that was heartbreaking.
You have never had chicks before? :eek: Their a lot of fun! You will enjoy them :)
My eggs are on day 7...but foir the NYD HAL not this one...sadsly i dont have eggs hatchiong on christmas....
Good luck on your hatch :)

Day 14 here! So excited, one more week :D

Lol! I've never had my own, Peep-Chick. Granted, my parents bought some when I was younger but I never took care of them or even gave them the time of day. But I've definitely learned to slow down in life and appreciate things for what they are. And I believe starting out with chickens will be a perfect beginning for a great soon-to-be farm life for my family :)

I was curious so I candled a few of the eggs while I was down in the basement. All that I candled(like 3 or 4) were alive. I'm suspecting a early chick out of one of them because it looked more developed then the rest and filled the egg up more. Now to not touch until day late day 17 early 18.... And I don't think the minor heat spike caused any problems so we should be good.

You have never had chicks before? :eek: Their a lot of fun! You will enjoy them :)
Good luck on your hatch :)

Day 14 here! So excited, one more week :D
Day 14 here also. Will be 15 @ 8:00pm tonight. Candled last night after the 14 mark and had two quitters. So we're down to 17 happy healthy babies kicking and dancing. Got my wife to try the smell test, lol. I already knew there was abad one somewhere, I could smell it when I opened the lid. And then smelled it when it came out, so I knew which one it was. Going for hatch late Christmas Eve/ early Christmas Day. Glad to see most everyone's is going well, and sad for the ones who aren't. Makes me a little worried about mine, but I haven't had any problems so far so I'm still optimistic. Good day to everyone and happy for sharing your stories.

Day 14 here also. Will be 15 @ 8:00pm tonight. Candled last night after the 14 mark and had two quitters. So we're down to 17 happy healthy babies kicking and dancing. Got my wife to try the smell test, lol. I already knew there was abad one somewhere, I could smell it when I opened the lid. And then smelled it when it came out, so I knew which one it was. Going for hatch late Christmas Eve/ early Christmas Day. Glad to see most everyone's is going well, and sad for the ones who aren't. Makes me a little worried about mine, but I haven't had any problems so far so I'm still optimistic. Good day to everyone and happy for sharing your stories.

I'm on day 15 as of about 9pm tonight as well. Candled yesterday and all is well so far. Actually it was a really good candling because I thought I only had 20 eggs, but I have 22 (counted wrong last time). Thats like 110% I guess thats the chicken math that everyone talks about.

Im trying to be optimistic too, but who knows. It seems like its easy to get them to lock-down, just hard to get from day 18 to the brooder box.

Santa is gonna be confused when he comes to our houses and sees us up all night staring at our incubators. Don't bother me Santa, I'm busy!!!
big_smile.png

I'm on day 15 as of about 9pm tonight as well.  Candled yesterday and all is well so far.  Actually it was a really good candling because I thought I only had 20 eggs, but I have 22 (counted wrong last time).  Thats like 110%  I guess thats the chicken math that everyone talks about.

Im trying to be optimistic too, but who knows.  It seems like its easy to get them to lock-down, just hard to get from day 18 to the brooder box.

Santa is gonna be confused when he comes to our houses and sees us up all night staring at our incubators.  Don't bother me Santa, I'm busy!!!   :D
He's definitely going to have to work around me, I have things to do. Then delivery to their respected homes on the 28th. It's funny, I was talking to my friend that 3 of them are for his kids for Christmas, and while I'm busy getting everything together for hatch day, he's building his first coop and brooder box for delivery lol so my excitement has infected his family as well. I love being able to share the joy of chickens with other people. Think that's why I like it here so much.....

Lol! I've never had my own, Peep-Chick. Granted, my parents bought some when I was younger but I never took care of them or even gave them the time of day. But I've definitely learned to slow down in life and appreciate things for what they are. And I believe starting out with chickens will be a perfect beginning for a great soon-to-be farm life for my family :)

Wow, your 'first' chickens then :) ? Good luck, their fun :)

I was curious so I candled a few of the eggs while I was down in the basement. All that I candled(like 3 or 4) were alive. I'm suspecting a early chick out of one of them because it looked more developed then the rest and filled the egg up more. Now to not touch until day late day 17 early 18.... And I don't think the minor heat spike caused any problems so we should be good.

Thats great their developing :D

I'm on day 15 as of about 9pm tonight as well.  Candled yesterday and all is well so far.  Actually it was a really good candling because I thought I only had 20 eggs, but I have 22 (counted wrong last time).  Thats like 110%  I guess thats the chicken math that everyone talks about.

Im trying to be optimistic too, but who knows.  It seems like its easy to get them to lock-down, just hard to get from day 18 to the brooder box.

Santa is gonna be confused when he comes to our houses and sees us up all night staring at our incubators.  Don't bother me Santa, I'm busy!!!   :D

He's definitely going to have to work around me, I have things to do. Then delivery to their respected homes on the 28th. It's funny, I was talking to my friend that 3 of them are for his kids for Christmas, and while I'm busy getting everything together for hatch day, he's building his first coop and brooder box for delivery lol so my excitement has infected his family as well. I love being able to share the joy of chickens with other people. Think that's why I like it here so much.....

Glad to see everyones hatches are going well. Day 19, is the longest day in the whole hatching process :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom