Christmas Hatch

I've found got better hatches at no more than 60 at lock down, my issues until this time was malpositioned ,but without the egg turner going doing like i did it was running 75-80 and got shrink wrapped , drowned chicks. So gotta find a happy medium here at almost 5k ft above sea level

from what I was reading to much the whole time can cause it, if i kept it between 25-48 during first 18 days and only raised it 55-60 during hatch got chicks even though lost a lot that were malpositioned, so hoping this next hatch does lots better since stopping turning at day 13 fixed my malpositioned problem, will find out 2 weeks from Wednesday,

I ended up losing everything but the one. I added a fan, and I'm calibrating my hygrometers. Going for round 2 with strictly my own eggs.

Sorry to read that only one chick hatched. You will have better luck with your own eggs; I always have. My after Christmas hatch has begun-late, but hatching.

Congrats to all those chicksn and I'm sorry for theones who didn't make it. I hope that we get to do this again. I've been swamped and have another batch of eggs in the incubator. My first batch sold out (except for the ones I really want to keep the first hatched one and some that don't look like they should for what they were supposed to be). Round two is a mixed bunch, golden buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, easter egger covered by wellsummer, and my first round of cornish game hens. So far everyone is on track to do like the last batch. Air cells are a bit large in some so I upped humidity to 35%. I don't want to overdo it. Most of this batch are going to go to freezer camp. Some of the ee mixes are going to be keepers unless they are all roosters. Lol. I want to see what color I will get. A real pale teal egg crossed with a dark spotted egg. Wondering if I will get camo eggs. Lol

Congrats to all those chicksn and I'm sorry for theones who didn't make it.  I hope that we get to do this again.  I've been swamped and have another batch of eggs in the incubator.  My first batch sold out (except for the ones I really want to keep the first hatched one and some that don't look like they should for what they were supposed to be).  Round two is a mixed bunch, golden buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, easter egger covered by wellsummer, and my first round of cornish game hens.  So far everyone is on track to do like the last batch.  Air cells are a bit large in some so I upped humidity to 35%.  I don't want to overdo it.  Most of this batch are going to go to freezer camp. Some of the ee mixes are going to be keepers unless they are all roosters.  Lol.  I want to see what color I will get.  A real pale teal egg crossed with a dark spotted egg.  Wondering if I will get camo eggs.  Lol

How about a Valentine's Day Hatch?

That sounds neat. A valentines day hatch would be kind of special. Right now I am working on this next batch to see if they come out early or not. So far all the eggs look good. A few I am worried about but will leave them alone for the time being.

So I had 5 out of 7 of my silkie eggs hatch! 3 on their hatch dates exactly! And they appear very healthy. The other two were 1 day late and of those, One had a splayed leg (I think he injured it while hatching? His umbilical cord was wrapped around it..he also had ALOT of goo in the egg spill out so I wonder if he hatched too quickly? He piped and was completely out within 30 min!) and the other had pretty curled toes. So they are hobbled and booted respectfully. The splayed chick seems to be doing well but the other is still having trouble getting around and I think its preventing him from eating. Guess he's stressed?

I have 2 eggs still in the incubator. One is very likely dead, its very dark in there but I MAY have seen very slight movement (or my eyes were playing tricks). The other seems to have a chick that appears to be alive and very slowly moving. How long do I wait before I give up on these guys? They don't smell and as I said still appear alive though I'm not sure for how much longer. With the air cells getting larger by the day I'm afraid they'll be shrinkwrapped eventually...so should I risk opening up the egg that looks like the chick is ready? Or just leave them and hope they hatch? Everything I've read says throw out eggs that are 5 days late after you check for life but as I said, at least one shows signs of life! i know assisted hatching is generally a no no and I respect that but I would feel bad if these can't hatch on their own at this point and I could try to help. Any suggestions are welcome!

Back
Top Bottom