Christmas in October block Swap

Anna6 I like your idea of double 4 patch in men's colors. We would all need to stay with the same 2 colors in the small 4 patches, I think as you said, either white or cream with black or dark chocolate brown. What size would these blocks finish ?
I did see on the site this block set on point that was nice.

Last edited:
Anna6 I like your idea of double 4 patch in men's colors. We would all need to stay with the same 2 colors in the small 4 patches, I think as you said, either white or cream with black or dark chocolate brown. What size would these blocks finish ?
Sounds good! Maybe the small blocks could be creme and the other small block black? This way we can still use all the pretty browns along with other colors in the main body of the block. I am scared white would look too stark.

Last edited:
Maybe black and white, or black, white and one color?
I have a lot of black but the blacks from different brands might clash. Or are you thinking black and white print for the main body, white and lets say red for the small blocks? One problem I have no black and white fabric to speak of.

I have a lot of black but the blacks from different brands might clash. Or are you thinking black and white print for the main body, white and lets say red for the small blocks? One problem I have no black and white fabric to speak of.

I was thinking prints, black / white and white / black and black on black and white on white that sort of thing.

What size would these blocks finish ?

We could decide what size we would want. I think one of the examples had an 8 inch block consisting of two 4 patches, made of 2 1/2 inch squares, and two larger 4 1/2 inch squares. Since the block is simple we could do 36 blocks of 8 inches for a 48x48 inch finished quilt or people could add a border or another layout. We could also do 25 eight inch blocks for a 40x40 inch quilt top. Or? It doesn't have to be square. Just throwing ideas out. Maybe people have some other ideas in mind. I know the tween quilt for boys was posted previously too.

I was thinking prints, black / white and white / black and black on black and white on white that sort of thing.
That would be a modern quilt right? I wonder if there is maybe a picture of that color layout some where online so people can get an idea. Maybe if this block and color scheme is decided we could have a sample block mock up. I am more of a visual person.

Last edited:
The pattern on quilterscashe shows a 12 inch block
Yes it is a much larger four patch block with more components. We could do that too. That would give a 36x48 inch quilt if we each do 12 blocks of 12 1/2 inches square unfinished. Or a 4x5 block lay out would give a 20 block quilt of 48x60 inches. I would probably like that size but that would mean people would make 20 unfinished blocks of 12 1/2 inches each.

Here is the link again to that block's layout.
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPatchChainBlock.html

The one thing I would change is use one 6 1/2 inch square instead of sewing four 3 1/2 inch squares of the same fabric together. I hope that makes sense.

The second page shows a drawing of how it might look like with a scrap layout.
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPatchChainBlock_Page2.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom