Christmas in October block Swap

The blocks arrived in England on Wednesday so whilst you were tucking into turkey I put them together with dark green sashing and red 'posts'. They look great. The fabrics are all harmonious and the blocks are all the same size, no fiddling at all. We are getting better and better. Now, which is my favourite block? Well, I can't tell you. No really, l mean I can't tell you. Whatever block I look at immediately becomes my favourite. These lovely blocks deserve a good finish so I am going to have a go at designing some poinsettias for the corners of the border and quilt some designs along the sides of the borders. Can't wait to take this to show and tell. I shan't wait to get the borders finished before I do.

Now, I have to tell you that I have received my mug rug today too, from Anna. It is so lovely - mushrooms which I am particularly fond of. How did you know Anna? The free machining is beautiful. I don't think I will dare to ever put a mug on it!

I will try and get some pictures up on the site, although they won't do any of the above justice, but my electronic stuff is playing up at the moment so it may be a couple of days.

Well I am no good at posting but the top two pictures show what I send majack. the last picture is from a previous swap and I do not know how to delete it. sigh...

Last edited:
Yes it is a much larger four patch block with more components. We could do that too. That would give a 36x48 inch quilt if we each do 12 blocks of 12 1/2 inches square unfinished. Or a 4x5 block lay out would give a 20 block quilt of 48x60 inches. I would probably like that size but that would mean people would make 20 unfinished blocks of 12 1/2 inches each.

Here is the link again to that block's layout.
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPatchChainBlock.html

The one thing I would change is use one 6 1/2 inch square instead of sewing four 3 1/2 inch squares of the same fabric together. I hope that makes sense.

The second page shows a drawing of how it might look like with a scrap layout.
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPatchChainBlock_Page2.html

Anna6 http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPatchonPointBlock.html This site shows the four patch with the larger solid square as you were suggesting. We would not have to put the triangles on and then set them with a border.

Well I am no good at posting but the top two pictures show what I send majack. the last picture is from a previous swap and I do not know how to delete it. sigh...

FourPatchChainquilt.gif

I like the suggestions of the two sites you ladies posted, I really like the on point or I like this one too, question, we could come up with a color scheme and like in this suggestion, you keep your little blocks the same through out your blocks, so lets say they are masculine colors, browns,deep reds,grey,black, dark green etc, and then you get to pick the 2 colors for your little blocks that would compliment your colors, as in this set up the little blocks are different through out, because everyone's blacks and cremes are going to be different and then it would be a true scrappy quilt
to give you some more color ideas check out this site
http://www.colorschemer.com/schemes/index.php?start=0&tag=masculine

I really love this idea. I just want to get started. (Cos theres not enough to do the week before christmas)
The blacks and creams wont match and will fade differantly too, what about blues and creams? Theres so many shades of blue anyway it wont seem odd...

I really love this idea. I just want to get started. (Cos theres not enough to do the week before christmas)
The blacks and creams wont match and will fade differantly too, what about blues and creams? Theres so many shades of blue anyway it wont seem odd...
I know I am antsy too. Maybe I am just trying to get away from the mountains of things I need to do before Christmas. I like the blue idea or just do like the example, cremes and then another small block that is darker then the fabric of the main block. I do think different blues would mess better then different blacks. Point well made.

I haven't had time to be antsy, I've been doing the Bonnie Hunter mystery this year. We are 4 clues in and someone posted a piece count so far I forget if it was 4200 or 2200
th.gif

I think this quilt and blocks are wonderful ! I'm too busy to even turn around right now I'm doing the Bonnie Hunter Mystery too, only half size this year though. Plus several others under construction. Baking and freezing pies for Christmas dinner.
I'm wishing all of you a great Holiday Season.

Back
Top Bottom