Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I don't find it slippery at all, surprisingly. It also makes me feel like I'm getting bacteria off of it because of the soap 😂.
I put a squirt of Dawn in when I scald them, to improve penetration of the water through all the plumage to the skin. When I see a great big crop of dark pin feathers though, that's when I stop plucking and get out the skinning knife. The cost-benefit analysis has shifted. I like the skin on, but maybe not quite that much.

I put a squirt of Dawn in when I scald them, to improve penetration of the water through all the plumage to the skin. When I see a great big crop of dark pin feathers though, that's when I stop plucking and get out the skinning knife. The cost-benefit analysis has shifted. I like the skin on, but maybe not quite that much.

I am cheap so less time is better. My kids like the skin, otherwise I'd just skin. Good thing they're learning to pluck 😂

thought I would share my latest rooster culling. I felt bad doing this because this was one of my better roosters behavior wise but I needed to cut down on crowing roosters and this guy was the loudest of them all. Barred Rock about 4 months old. I also had 1 too many birds in that coop so why not take out the rooster?
IMG_7463.JPG

This was the oldest rooster I ever skinned and I had to use channel locks to pull the skin off the bottom of the drumsticks. He also had many more feathers than the birds I am accustomed to skinning which made it tough to get a good grip on the skin to pull it off.

thought I would share my latest rooster culling. I felt bad doing this because this was one of my better roosters behavior wise but I needed to cut down on crowing roosters and this guy was the loudest of them all. Barred Rock about 4 months old. I also had 1 too many birds in that coop so why not take out the rooster?
View attachment 2385126

This was the oldest rooster I ever skinned and I had to use channel locks to pull the skin off the bottom of the drumsticks. He also had many more feathers than the birds I am accustomed to skinning which made it tough to get a good grip on the skin to pull it off.
Ha wait until you try to skin a rooster over a year old. The middle of the back is super glued on.
I usually harvest cockerels around 16 weeks, they aren't that bad compared to over a year.

Ha wait until you try to skin a rooster over a year old. The middle of the back is super glued on.
I usually harvest cockerels around 16 weeks, they aren't that bad compared to over a year.
Yeah it was a lot easier than I was expecting. there was a point on the back where it seemed glued but not super glued so it eventually peeled off.

Back
Top Bottom