Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
That's what I chose....plus am leery of those pre-programmed digital controls.
If you don't want a plug-in, that's all fine and dandy, but I gotta say, I absolutely love my Insta-Pot. Use it a couple times a week at least. It was a small learning curve to use at first, but man, it's one of few appliances that I don't want to live without now.
I made dozens of deviled eggs for our bible study each week, and it's been a godsend for doing boiled eggs. The shells slip off effortlessly, 3min. cook time after it gets to pressure. Mississippi pot roast in it is devine.
Chicken stock? Oh how wonderful in so little time.

Last edited:
If you don't want a plug-in, that's all fine and dandy, but I gotta say, I absolutely love my Insta-Pot. Use it a couple times a week at least. It was a small learning curve to use at first, but man, it's one of few appliances that I don't want to live without now.
I made dozens of deviled eggs for our bible study each week, and it's been a godsend for doing boiled eggs. The shells slip off effortlessly, 3min. cook time after it gets to pressure. Mississippi pot roast in it is devine.
Chicken stock? Oh how wonderful in so little time.
How long long for release? I get brown whites. But I did 1 min at pressure and natural release. Doesn't get the house humid with natural release. I need to try it again

Quick update before the babies!

My held back Broilers are fully integrated with the laying ladies. They’re regular heathens and follow everything the layers do. They dig In mud spots, ravenously consume watermelon, AND, today two of them squatted!

:wee

They’re also not mean to the younger chicks at all. Mama broody let’s the chicks freely run around the meaties. If they weren’t quite so big, I’d have them in a regular laying flock, hands down. They haven’t once even seemed to be remotely affected by the heat.

7D7729BA-4019-4961-A7B3-F58D808438F1.jpeg

ABFC2206-9AC7-4E3D-83FB-8A947408DBAC.jpeg

5C9442FD-A3FF-4A74-A08A-AFACA7011431.jpeg

what were they doing? making foot prints in Concrete? lol
Being dinosaurs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's been 102 here this week, and so I have sprayed down the areas around some shrubs and trees so the clay soil held a little water. It really seems to be the areas they congregate too as the ground stays cooler there. These broilers literally dig it out and lay in it... then there's also an area of a building that has a gutter but no downspout, so it pools in one spot. these girls just stand in it.

They're pretty resourceful. Some of the layers hang out in the mud cool spots, but the certain don't wallow in it. :gig

How long long for release? I get brown whites. But I did 1 min at pressure and natural release. Doesn't get the house humid with natural release. I need to try it again

I think a natural release will overcook them. I always manually released and took them out right away. I also bought the egg holder, just do a search on Amazon and you'll find them quickly. Not too expensive and kept them from cracking. The pot holds 2 tiers, each one holds 7 eggs.
I made 40 deviled eggs every week, so I did 2 batches...Just make sure to pour out the hot water and refill with cold for each batch. It seems to mess up the heating element if you don't and they won't cook right.
I learned that the hard way.

@aart I have had a Nesco version of an electric pressure cooker for years and use it a LOT. I've never done eggs in it, but I did a 3# roast in it for 3 hours instead of all day on the stove or in the oven with natural release. Browned it in the same pot, so easy and no heating the house. Also works as a slow cooker.

Back
Top Bottom