Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
I've let a couple of cockerels grow out to 20+ weeks. They do get considerably more meaty. I'm not sure how they would eat on a conventional cook, but I will say they made excellent, flavorful sausage.

Last edited:
Whoa! $100 for a dozen eggs. But they are sold out, so you can't say they are over-priced.
I know. He has a huge orchard like one of the biggest in the country. He is a super busy man but incredibly helpful to folks working to improve birds, from what I’ve been told.

Mikes birds have German blood in them that I guess some people don’t like. Frank Reese’s birds do not have the German blood in tbem but are not quite as big as Mikes. frank doesn’t ship or even rarely sell his stock but there’s someone near him who has some of his stock that does sell. I will have to look for that info if anyone wants it.

Jersey giant crosses build the frame for months longer. The ones I had were much meater at 6 months. I usually process at 16 weeks. I wasn't happy with a boney bjg cross at that age. I let a couple grow longer and they had a lot more meat.
But how was the meat? Tender or tough?

Good morning folks! :frow

I read a lot of the thread, but will likely go back and finish what I haven't yet. I wanted to share about the most recent breed I've become interested in focusing on... Bielefelders... Now I've been focused on bantams for so long, these guys seem like gigantors.. but maybe my perspective is narrow?? Their growth rate seems astonishing to me!

Anyways I weighed a couple random chicks at 12 days old yesterday, shipped from Cackle and spent about 60 hours in shipping (order coming from GFF in April).. 12/18 survived. Nutri drench in the first drinker and Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein, crushed a little extra the first week. Natural light cycle using infrared 150w bulb, on pine shaving with a clump of pasture...

Just random grabs and only 2 since I don't actually care about meeting any deadline but was curious.. the female weighed in @ 3.8 ounces and the male weighed 4.4 ounces.

I'm super excited about them, after raising more birds than I care to shake a stick at. :p

Good morning folks! :frow

I read a lot of the thread, but will likely go back and finish what I haven't yet. I wanted to share about the most recent breed I've become interested in focusing on... Bielefelders... Now I've been focused on bantams for so long, these guys seem like gigantors.. but maybe my perspective is narrow?? Their growth rate seems astonishing to me!

Anyways I weighed a couple random chicks at 12 days old yesterday, shipped from Cackle and spent about 60 hours in shipping (order coming from GFF in April).. 12/18 survived. Nutri drench in the first drinker and Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein, crushed a little extra the first week. Natural light cycle using infrared 150w bulb, on pine shaving with a clump of pasture...

Just random grabs and only 2 since I don't actually care about meeting any deadline but was curious.. the female weighed in @ 3.8 ounces and the male weighed 4.4 ounces.

I'm super excited about them, after raising more birds than I care to shake a stick at. :p
YAY! I am SO excited to hear about your Bielefelders. I am quite intrigued with them and have been for a bit. I've always been a little concerned that my humid and hot climate would be a problem for them at full size, I cannot wait to see how you get along with these birds.

They have incredibly reputations for personality and dual purpose characteristics.

I cooked moist, low and slow in a roaster in the oven. Great flavor and wasn't tough
You eat that skin? I haven't found myself able to appreciate it as far as just eating it with the bird. I haven't done CX, and a bit of a texture freak with lot's of things in my head to overcome. Eating animals takes courage and strength for me. :oops: I feel like if I'm gonna raise a bird that long (and I have even longer and still might), it might almost might as well be a turkey. Dang meaty turkey, lol. I'm just kidding, mostly. Turkeys are some sweet, pooping beasts. :D

Please specify how LOW and how slow?? TIA

Seems all over the place on the internet with low being called 300. Seems like it should be lower than that to me.. thinking similar to sous vide method.. but maybe not THAT low/slow..
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

You eat that skin? I haven't found myself able to appreciate it as far as just eating it with the bird. I haven't done CX, and a bit of a texture freak with lot's of things in my head to overcome. Eating animals takes courage and strength for me. :oops: I feel like if I'm gonna raise a bird that long (and I have even longer and still might), it might almost might as well be a turkey. Dang meaty turkey, lol. I'm just kidding, mostly. Turkeys are some sweet, pooping beasts. :D

Please specify how LOW and how slow?? TIA

Seems all over the place on the internet with low being called 300. Seems like it should be lower than that to me.. thinking similar to sous vide method.. but maybe not THAT low/slow..
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

Jersey Giants were bred to replace turkeys, which were usually harvested at 18 months, jg harvested at 8 months
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/jerseygiant
I cook at around 300 in a roaster with broth and veggies, until meat falls off the bone maybe 20min a lb.. I like my chicken done

Back
Top Bottom