Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
I've read that it gets "easier" over time. Certainly the mechanics get easier and faster, but I can't say that the emotions are getting less. I've gotten better at putting on a stoic, game face, so my emotions don't cause the chickens (or the spouse) any additional stress. After the deed is done, I do take a lot of satisfaction in knowing that the chicken had a humane life and met a very fast end.
Me and my husband have a deal where we swap off who does the deed.

I'm 100% for doing all of the butchering of the chicken, but it's the slitting the throat part that kind of gets my emotions going.

I'm thinking that two of the chickens I will leave as a whole chicken and then the other one I want to part out. I have a photo that shows all the different cuts of chicken that you can get from a whole chicken so I will be using that.

My intentions with butchering chickens was to feed my family and my furry animals. I honestly don't eat any meat or consume any type of animal products 🙈 It's not for the sake of animals, it's more for the sake of my health because I have so many reactions to certain foods. People I know think that I am crazy because I am going to butcher my chickens that I have raised from the egg. The funny part is they think that I do all of my eating because of the animals and that is not the reason.

I feel like it gets easier in that I am practiced and skilled now, but it's still a heavy task.

I really prefer the broomstick method too, I dislike slitting.
I don't even know what the broomstick method is, but I like to do slitting because it empties out all the blood out of the carcass. Plus I have an amazing kill cone I made out of a gallon water jug. They become half conscious when put upside down and they do not have much stress. I learned this way from others who live around here and have processed their own chickens.

I've read several ways to do it even using a 22 gauge.

Set up and clean up are just the worst.
That's what gets me...and it's the same if I do 2 or 5(my max).

but I like to do slitting because it empties out all the blood out of the carcass. Plus I have an amazing kill cone
Same here.

I don't even know what the broomstick method is
Best example I've fond for broomstick:
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,

Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

I don't even know what the broomstick method is, but I like to do slitting because it empties out all the blood out of the carcass. Plus I have an amazing kill cone I made out of a gallon water jug. They become half conscious when put upside down and they do not have much stress. I learned this way from others who live around here and have processed their own chickens.

I've read several ways to do it even using a 22 gauge.
Yeah, I tried making a cone out of a jug, mine are just too big and they flip themselves out of it.

I've done the slitting plenty, I just really don't like it :idunno Honestly, I don't feel like the ones I do with the broomstick don't bleed out well enough, so that's what I do for the most part.

Yeah, I tried making a cone out of a jug, mine are just too big and they flip themselves out of it.

I've done the slitting plenty, I just really don't like it :idunno Honestly, I don't feel like the ones I do with the broomstick don't bleed out well enough, so that's what I do for the most part.
I used a hard plastic jug. I might try traffic cones too. One of the Cockerels is a tank I can't wait to see his weight

I made my own cone out of aluminum flashing.
Here's the pattern, can't find a pic of it finished.
1582935985614.png

Waaaaaaa. 17 hour trip today. A holdup at the processor.

but I will say.... the pastured poultry community is so nice. I’ve met some really incredible farmers at the processor that have shared so much valuable insight and friendship. It was a great day as I took my son for the first time and there were several other kids there he got to pal around with while we waited. I was a little concerned at three maybe this was all too soon but he couldn’t have been more proud to get his “dinner chickens” back at the end of the day.:love

more later after I’ve had time to go through things, but I’m so impressed with the improvements of this batch. At 9 weeks I’ve got mostly 4+ lb whole birds. It seems two things were added when I went those extra three weeks.... a little breast (breast parts of these were .6 lbs vs .85 last time) and fat. There’s less fat on these.

the farmer I spoke with the most today said that it is undoubtedly due to changes in the two weeks of brooding. Categorically the most important part of raising meat birds is the first two weeks. :caf

Back
Top Bottom