Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

With New Developments on Feed not lasting 6 or more months I need to think of a new plan on ensuring I have feed in the event of a shortage. I only have a month and a half worth of feet stored now, the duration of my CX project. Next week I talk to the guy at the feed mill and inquire on whether or not he suspects any shortages of anything in the near future.

With New Developments on Feed not lasting 6 or more months I need to think of a new plan on ensuring I have feed in the event of a shortage. I only have a month and a half worth of feet stored now, the duration of my CX project. Next week I talk to the guy at the feed mill and inquire on whether or not he suspects any shortages of anything in the near future.
Can you keep us posted on what he says?

Don't know if this will help you...
My family has to be gluten free and the alternative flours and things I have to work with are not nearly as shelf stable as typical wheat flours so I freeze a lot of extra grains and flours.
I do know whole grains that still have the bran or germ layer on them, like brown rice or oat groats (Scottish Oatmeal) are easily frozen and keep well. And frozen flours do still yield good baking results.

Of course freezing will degrade the vitamins and nutrient additives added to typical feeds, but when it's a matter of survival .... the frozen whole grains or ground grains themselves will still have plenty of nutritional value.

Just something to consider if you already have an extra freezer.

Good idea...no need to panic before it's necessary...could cause a panic.

Here’s some thoughts on feed:

most local feed mills with fresh feed won’t advise storing more than 2 months. Maybe 3-4 if you use plastic air-barrels in a cool environment. Feed can be at least a month old when purchased from a feed store. Especially if they buy in bulk and store their own.

it’s probably “okay” with adult birds, however it gets iffy with littles. Vitamin B is one of the first to go. Leg issues will ensue especially with broilers. Egg production goes down.

there are multiple companies that sell pre-mix. There’s a non GmO company in TX that sells pre mix and ships nationally that you can make a half ton or ton of feed with by adding your own millet or grain to. I’ve looked into it, but don’t like mash-style feeds because they pick and choose and leave vitamin mixes behind. I had my most issues this year using that style of feed.

no shortages on the horizon in TX with feed.

I’ve looked into it, but don’t like mash-style feeds because they pick and choose and leave vitamin mixes behind. I had my most issues this year using that style of feed.

That's why mash feeds are typically served wet. You make a thick paste and stir it up. They can't pick and choose.

That's why mash feeds are typically served wet. You make a thick paste and stir it up. They can't pick and choose.
Yes absolutely, it’s just hard with 100+ chicks and i shudder to think of what it would be like with more than that. I cannot imagine using several tons of feed over a few week period and having to keep it wet.

Yes absolutely, it’s just hard with 100+ chicks and i shudder to think of what it would be like with more than that. I cannot imagine using several tons of feed over a few week period and having to keep it wet.
I have had 75 chicks and poults along with 60 adults. I feed fermented ... The other benefit is they don't drink as much water.

I had 200+ chicks and there’s no way I’d do fermented feed in that amount. My birds don’t even like it. They turn their nose to it. Imagine if I wasted all of it. That’s hundreds of dollars down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom