Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I took one breast and the dark meat and separated it out for the dehydrator.

Dark meat will be for the dogs. The breast meat will be chicken jerky for the fam.

My dehydrator is running late so I hope it gets here soon! My beef has been marinating a while.
I can't wait to hear how this works out, I am trying to learn about food preservation.

E. coli lives in the gut of wild deer and can be spread by field dressing it.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/making_safe_venison_jerky
Higher biological life is probably not possible without E Coli. It belongs in the lower intestinal system though, and in its proper balance and the right types. Not in the water and certainly not in rare meat. One of many reasons we wash our hands after elimination. Also one big reason for clean methods of processing and preserving/storing meats.

I already bought the cones. Now ya tell me. :lau Actually, I buy kitty litter in large bags in case we spill oil on the garage floor or something. I never thought of the smaller plastic jugs as cones but if I had, my processing area could be even more hillbilly than it already is.:gig

I did try a feed bag with a corner cut out for BBWs. THAT was a bust. Don't do that. It wasn't nearly wide enough. 🤦‍♀️ Just process them on time. Trust me; you're much better off with two smaller turkeys, WOW factor or no. AND they'll fit in the oven or roaster. Always a good thing.

I already bought the cones. Now ya tell me. :lau Actually, I buy kitty litter in large bags in case we spill oil on the garage floor or something. I never thought of the smaller plastic jugs as cones but if I had, my processing area could be even more hillbilly than it already is.:gig

I did try a feed bag with a corner cut out for BBWs. THAT was a bust. Don't do that. It wasn't nearly wide enough. 🤦‍♀️ Just process them on time. Trust me; you're much better off with two smaller turkeys, WOW factor or no. AND they'll fit in the oven or roaster. Always a good thing.
I do have to admit to the hillbilly processing method, of just hanging whatever bird by the feet from a garage rafter, hooking a bucket to catch the blood to the beak with a wire, maybe a little kibble or dirt in the bucket if it needs more weight, sharp knife to the neck, done. Flapping wings do not hit anything, so no bruising and fast bleeding. Very little blood anywhere outside the bucket. Fast set-up, fast clean-up. Scalding water takes the longest, but I do like the skin that much. :p

Hey I am just glad the idea gets passed on.
I keep bursting out laughing when I see it because its a kitty litter container. But it works great, the hole in the bottom is big and the head fits easily, the flimsy plastic can shape to a large bird. and the plastic is strong enough to not rip when a 6 to 10 pound bird is thrown in there. I bet it works better than those metal cones that do not look big enough to be honest.

Probably one a year flings blood everywhere
I put the hole as far from the post I screwed it to and it worked out perfect because a bucket fits right under it without the post getting in the way. I found saw dust in the bucket, before and after the deed, helps with clean up. and I can bury it easily in the compost pile too.
IMG_5849.JPG

Back
Top Bottom