Cinnamon Queen?

ashlynne87

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
I have two chicks I bought from TSC this past Wednesday labeled as Cinnamon Queens. One of them has noticeably more tail feathers (the other still just has a fluffy bum) and much longer wing feathers. I know Cinnamon Queens are sex-linked but would feather growth be this different? Could there have been a mix-up? First picture is of the chick in question, and the second is the other chick for comparison. Forgive my newbie self 🤪

5540EF2E-2F32-4F80-95B1-08B2FD911B00.jpeg
CEDAB945-C7B3-4768-BE05-B58B00BF7326.jpeg

I have two chicks I bought from TSC this past Wednesday labeled as Cinnamon Queens. One of them has noticeably more tail feathers (the other still just has a fluffy bum) and much longer wing feathers. I know Cinnamon Queens are sex-linked but would feather growth be this different? Could there have been a mix-up? First picture is of the chick in question, and the second is the other chick for comparison. Forgive my newbie self 🤪

View attachment 3513412View attachment 3513413
It’s quite hard to tell the breed of a chick so young, as many chicks can have that chipmunk pattern. Please do update us as this little beauty grows!

I know Cinnamon Queens are sex-linked but would feather growth be this different? Could there have been a mix-up?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Both are possibilities.. but CQ being a hybrid.. differences are expected.

Even in groups with the same known parent stock.. there are differences in growth rates including feathering..

Cute babies! :love

It’s quite hard to tell the breed of a chick so young, as many chicks can have that chipmunk pattern. Please do update us as this little beauty grows!
If it is a Cinnamon Queen, what are the odds it’s still a hen? Just seems odd the feathers are sooo different.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Both are possibilities.. but CQ being a hybrid.. differences are expected.

Even in groups with the same known parent stock.. there are differences in growth rates including feathering..

Cute babies! :love
Thanks for the reply! They’re super cute. I guess I’m just worried this little love could be a roo, which would be sad since we aren’t allowed to have them in my town supposedly 😭 it’s tail feathers are non-existent in comparison and wing feathers are much shorter compared to the other 6 chicks I got as well (different breeds).

If it is a Cinnamon Queen, what are the odds it’s still a hen? Just seems odd the feathers are sooo different.
If breed is accurate they'd female according to the down color..

https://www.chickenfans.com/cinnamon-queen-chicken/#:~:text=The Cinnamon Queen is a,of heritage or purebred chickens.

I don't think they're CQ..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/are-cinnamon-queens-sex-linked.1227795/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gender-confirmation-cinnamon-queen.1096777/

Maybe EE??

A clear photo of their combs could help confirm they are Cinnamon Queens, since those should have rose combs, not single combs, being hybrids of production Rhode Island reds and silver laced Wyandottes.

It’s a starlight green egger. I just bought 2 and 4 speckeled Sussex View attachment 3513468
We have two Starlight Green Eggers that look like this, although one of them is so light colored her feathers are almost white (not quite though). The supposed CQs have very clear “chipmunk” lines down their backs. It’s a mystery for sure!

A clear photo of their combs could help confirm they are Cinnamon Queens, since those should have rose combs, not single combs, being hybrids of production Rhode Island reds and silver laced Wyandottes.
They don’t have combs now. When can I expect those to come in? I’ll gladly send all the photos I can.

Back
Top Bottom