City attack half my flock gone :(

Get a ive trap and bait it for tonight. The coon will be back. Tonight put the surviving chickens in a dog crate or someplace that the coon can not get at them. If in a crate, that must be put someplace secure as coons can reach through the door. Good luck resolving this situation.

The chickens will be coming inside at night till I have the coop locked up like Ft Knox!
Damn raccoons. Crazy thing is, when I was a country girl. I had 2 pet raccoons. And now this.
Gonna check craigs list, didnt think of that im to frazzled. Thanks!
Worse case Home Depot for a new door.

Quote:
A friend has her garage turned into a coop, too. A raccoon climbed onto the roof and down through a very small opening where the evap sits. She didn't even know there was a hole up there.

my "coop" is an old shed transformed. We had a coon problem too, and its fixed now. I learned the hard way....

I could not figure out how they were getting in, but every day for 5-6 days I had a dead chicken INSIDE the coop, missing head, missing crop, big mess. I thought it was a weasle or rats or something, because i could not find a hole bigger than an inch or so and I know weasles are masters of getting into small openings, although we dont really have them around here.

I borrowed my friends motion activated wildlife camera he uses to scout deer during the non-hunting season. That night we got our answer....
Mama coon and 3 babies...Mama would pry the shed doors open just enough to let the kits be able to squeeze in the crack. baby coons would go in and get dinner, and then she would let them back out.
A little "soda of death" and the coons were eliminated (I DO NOT recommend soda of death for you in the city... you dont want to kill your neighbors cat) A trap will do nicely. I have best luck baiting raccoons with sweet bait, marshmallows or honey or jelly on bread works great
Coons are sneaky, and determined, and smart. I still have the same coop/shed, but we put 5 latches and padlock on top and bottom latches on the door now, so they cannot be pried from the top, bottom or anywhere else for that matter. Its a pain, but its what needed to be done for us out here.

u can use a live trap to catch the coon. I'm so sorry for the loss of your chickens
hugs.gif
get a few more soon - it helps, believe me.

I was going to go get a new slide down door, but after checking inside I dont have the track up any more. So here are my thoughts.
We were going to do barn doors for the winter, the kind you open up twards you. And Im thinking a spring & summer option of the same design but hard wire vs a solid door, for fresh air and all.
clearly this will be a big job, and Im not going to waste money on a quick fix, when I can take my time & do it right. Heck if I can climb out a windw on the 3rd floor and tar a leaky roof I can do this right?
barnie.gif

Im just frustrated the chickens had been out there for over 6 months now and not one problem, and now this. Im still finding parts so more than half my flock was lost.
hit.gif

this is a side shot of the front of the garage/coop
yes those are old doors from the house I put on just for shade and decor.

54640_downsized_0723001436.jpg

54640_downsized_0723001437.jpg

I think the swing out barn doors are an excellent idea, and much more "country" than a pull down door. The fix I had in mind (see earlier post) would be easy to do with the doors that you already have up there---just fill in the center with hardware cloth. Of course it will mean putting holes in the doors, which you may not like.

Just a suggestion on uploading pix, if you turn the picture before uploading, it will come out right on the screen.

Be sure to post a picture of your completed coop doors.

cool.png

Last edited:
True "rabbit wire" (1/2x1") is more rigid than hardware cloth, and harder for predators to get through. Buy it at the nearest farm supply--there is usually one within 45 minutes of a city. Good luck!

OK here is my progress
54640_coop.jpg

two sheets screwed in on the top and bolted into the cement
Framing the door & my Friends BF who "was just watching us work" and then took over
54640_coop2.jpg

and the door is done for the day. It needs to be supported then it will get put on hinges and have 2 latches
54640_coop3.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics & as we make more progress!
Until Coop De Ft Knox is secure the chickens are sleeping inside the house safe from the evil raccoons!

Back
Top Bottom