Half of flock missing!

Gremchild74

Chirping
May 3, 2023
Half of my flock went missing (7 out of 14). Yes, I let them free range, so I automatically assume it's a predator. My poor girls. I went around on the property looking for feathers/corpses and did find a pile of feathers from one. Then I actually found a whole bird, but she wasn't attacked??? Nothing broken and no blood. Maybe poison. All i can say is that after raising these babies into hens, they wont be free roaming anymore. Time to work on a chicken playground.

Chickens can die from shock etc... I'd suggest predator proofing your area. Otherwise you can't do much. Sorry for your losses :(

Half of my flock went missing (7 out of 14). Yes, I let them free range, so I automatically assume it's a predator. My poor girls. I went around on the property looking for feathers/corpses and did find a pile of feathers from one. Then I actually found a whole bird, but she wasn't attacked??? Nothing broken and no blood. Maybe poison. All i can say is that after raising these babies into hens, they wont be free roaming anymore. Time to work on a chicken playground.
I'm so sorry to hear. Hopefully, something just scared them off, and some will find their way home. But if not, I'm sorry.

Please be sure if making them a pen to get 1/2" hardware wire to make the sides, as that will keep out just about anything but a bear. Chicken wire is usually okay for the top to keep the flying predators out but on the sides, most varments can break through it or get through it.

Back
Top Bottom