City chicken owners: how do you keep them quiet?

blbgp

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
We have three gals who live in a two story coop at night and are let out in a 40' x 30' fenced yard during the day to forage. Problem is, once the sun comes up, they start calling for us to let them out. Then they will holler for treats/company during the day. Have we already ruined everything by running out with treats to shush them when they make noise? Is there anything we can do to keep them quieter during the day? This isn't the egg song - it's them making an araaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (not a crow) noise that only quiets down when we run out with treats. We're not usually home during the day....worried they do this all day long. We've been working hard to appease the neighbors in advance, but I can see how this would be really annoying.

Stop the daytime treats. I gave my roo a special hand fed diet when he had sour crop and after that he was so spoiled that he'd crow constantly til he got his morning special. I bit the bullet for a few days and he has settled down. Now he gets his treat in the evening to persuade him to go inside the coop instead of roosting on top. lol

My girls do the same thing - - whenever we're right in front of the coop with treats in our hands...
They never know what to expect - we might just be saying hi. I once fed them at about three in the morning. They were not at all surprised, were given their treats and went back to roosting until the sun came up.
smile.png

Last edited:
Its hard but there really isn't a way to keep them quiet. I am having the same problem with one of my BRs. She wants everyone to know that she dose not approve of the two new hens momma brought home Sunday. I tied down a tarp on top of thier coop and run so that she could not see the other hens and much of anything eles. Its like locking them in the coop, she quieted down after a few minutes because she thought it was close to bedtime. I don't know how to help you with your run. The only thing I can think of is to wean them off the treats and keep the neighboors informed. Let them know what is going on. They will appreciate you taking thier peace into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom