One duck and one chicken died of hypothermia. what can I improve?

Jan 12, 2024
South Carolina Greenville
Hello, I have quite a sad story to share on this site and I need some help. I had a Brahma chicken named Butterscotch, a Beautiful chicken, She was very talented, adorable, and quite the flightful chicken, She would fly on top of the gate when I came down to feed them and she would always get early access to the food by getting in the house somehow, However, She died to hypothermia a little while back, Back then I had 3 barred rock chickens, one grew up to be a rooster a Rouen Duck and a white call duck. We have a cage inside the pen just in case of emergencies such as one of our neighbor's dogs getting out it is quite big but it does not take up all of the pen, I found her dead inside of the cage (I leave the cage open sometimes) she was very cold and didn't even move, normally the chickens would all be cuddled up and use each other as body warmth but she was in the cage away from them, at the time we did not have a heat lamp, but after her death, we bought a heat lamp for them and everything was fine until it happened again. I had a White Call Duck, her name was Patitas, and she would hang out with our Rouen duck, Margarito at night she stayed underneath the heat lamp with everyone else, but on Thursday last week, at 6:38 PM I found her dead outside, cold, stiff, no scratches, no blood, no bruises, nothing at all. she died of hypothermia during the day. They are all free-ranged as far as my backyard can go, meaning they are free to walk around and do what they please. they come inside by themselves sometimes at 7, but if they don't I will bring them in the pen. So my issue and my problem is, how do I prevent this? The pen seems warm but how do I keep them warm outside during cold days? should I even let them out during cold days?

I'm sorry to hear you lost them.

Can you tell us more about your setup?
How old were the birds?
What were the temperatures the week before they passed away and the day they passed away?
What part of the world do you live in?
Patitas was almost a year old, her birthday was on valentines day. Butterscotch was about 5 months to 6 months, on the day Patitas died it was about 33 degrees, I dont know what the temperature was when butterscotch died, But one thing I know is that she died during the night. I live in SC and the pen I do not know much about, I will probably ask my uncle about it

Patitas was almost a year old, her birthday was on valentines day. Butterscotch was about 5 months to 6 months, on the day Patitas died it was about 33 degrees, I dont know what the temperature was when butterscotch died, But one thing I know is that she died during the night. I live in SC and the pen I do not know much about, I will probably ask my uncle about it
That's not cold enough for chickens or ducks to die of cold, it must be something else. 5 is about middle age for chickens.
Do you know what they eat?

I don't think they died due to the temperature. They should be hardy to far colder than that.

Any signs at all that they may have been sick?
At just 5 months old it could be Mereks.
You mentioned having a Drake (male duck). Do the ducks live with the chickens?

Here's a picture of what the pen looks like

Attachments

• 20240117_185838.jpg
    20240117_185838.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom