City Ordinance....

starshrike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I love the mumbo-jumbo lingo that they use. It's ultimately VERY confusing and if I lived across the border in San Jose, I KNOW I could have 6 pullets enclosed at minimum of 15 ft away from anyone else's house (and end of discussion).

This is what I get.... for a single family home.
The following are the principal permitted uses in an R1 District.
4.02-1 Single-family dwellings that contain one (1) kitchen and have internal access to all rooms and common areas, except as provided for in Section 54.22.
4.02-3 Agriculture, except the raising of animals or fowl for commercial purposes, or the sale of any products at retail on the premises.

Does that mean I CAN raise chickens as long as I don't sell anything?

There is nothing else (it says that for any of the residential zones), and I'm not 200 ft from an educational facility (or I can't have any! - that was clear).

Worst comes to worst, I know I can have chickens at my parents house 30 minutes away. I had them before, they weren't a problem (ok, well, ONE).

I think that it means you can not raise animals for commercial purposes. No selling eggs or cock fights or broilers. If they are for you your all good. My opinion.

Yes, you can have chickens.

No, you can't sell eggs on the premisis, so arrange to have customers meet you somewhere else.
smile.png

I suppose that would be the case... or at least, that's how I've interpreted it so far. I don't plan to keep too many chickens (probably 6 pullets), so I shouldn't have much of a surplus to sell. Maybe pawn a couple on my nosy neighbors once in awhile
tongue.png

50 years ago, this was primarily farmland. According to my godfather, when HE was a young'un, all there was here was a gas station and farms!

Chickens would really help out on the weed control and extremely poor soil condition (read: clay clay clay) around here if I ever want to grow anything other than weeds. Plus, I've already got a 6 foot fence!

ETA: Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Upon 'clarification' by walking into City Hall and asking about chickens.... this was the answer I got.

Chicken = Bird

7.02-2 Birds. Any bird, continuously kept caged and within the confines of a dwelling house, is allowed. The ownership of more than twenty (20) birds at one time is not allowed.

Note that they need to be kept inside dwelling (house) at all times - no ranging in the yard, not even in a coop! Not to mention, 20 chickens in cages in a house - that's almost encouraging animal cruelty towards chickens!

... Now my question is, would a chicken even be happy just being stuck inside? My experience and gut feeling would be no. According to the city personnel, I couldn't even let it in the yard when I am outside, that's terrible!

ahhhhh.. dilemmas
sad.png

I have house chickens!!!
I have to wrestle my meatball subs away from my Leghorn and had to watch where I sat so I didn't squish my Silkie/cochin, but I love them!!
In the summer, they go out, but in the winter, they're in 99% of the time especially if it's snowing...
They're great to snuggle on the couch with...My Brahma used to plunk her fuzzy butt in front of the air conditioner and watch Texas Justice. LOL

LMAO, spottedcrow, I must must must see pictures.

I think my boyfriend would disown me if I had my girls in the house
sad.png

starshrike, my opinion is -cough-doitanyways-cough-

but then again, I'm a rebel.
yippiechickie.gif

LOL that's too funny SpottedCow! What do you do with the poo? Is that a Delaware in there too? (That's one breed I want to get)

Well, the city lady was pretty adamant about saying they need to be CAGED at ALL TIMES, INDOORS and at most in a SUNROOM... which is ridiculous. I supposedly can't even let them out supervised! I've even got a 6 ft wooden fence!

Even though chickens are technically birds I think general opinion would be that they are better off where they can at least be outside part of the time in the dirt with the bugs and grass/weeds, not cooped up indoors in a cage.

I like the rules that I posted in my first post better - they were taken out from the 'Zoning' section. It's one of the few places where the word fowl is used as well. Though it may be nice to sell extra eggs, I don't mind giving them away for the educational benefit of neighbors and friends!

Isn't a straw strewn tool shed (coop) with straw filled storage boxes (nest boxes) and clotheshanging rod (roost) and attached breezeway (run with hardware cloth) a dwelling?

I would go with the black and white written word instead of some lady's interpretation. Is she a city attorney? I thought not.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom