Cleaning supplies safe for ducks

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
I'm looking to disenfect and really clean the cages of the ducklings. I spray them down with water every week, but not all the poop comes off. Is there anything I could use that won't harm the ducks that anyone knows about?

I've just been spraying what I can off then scrubbing and repeat. My arms get sore after awhile lol.

I use bleach water and let it dry out before i put everyone back in. I have chicks but had ducklings earlier this year(and now again). I have also used disinfectant wipes, they make ones with scrubby sides but those go kind of fast when you have a big brooder or lots of cages.

There is a product called Poop Off that is specifically labeled for use for birds. I use that in the pool and on the stall mats in their shed. It works well.
I would try a mix of vinegar and water too. Vinegar is very safe and is a very good disinfectant.

I use bleach water and let it dry out before i put everyone back in. I have chicks but had ducklings earlier this year(and now again). I have also used disinfectant wipes, they make ones with scrubby sides but those go kind of fast when you have a big brooder or lots of cages.
I didn't know if I could use bleach or not.
I did use Clorox wipes and sprayed it down with water really good, then let it dry, before putting them back in.

There is a product called Poop Off that is specifically labeled for use for birds. I use that in the pool and on the stall mats in their shed. It works well.
I would try a mix of vinegar and water too. Vinegar is very safe and is a very good disinfectant.
Where can you get Poop Off?
I did read that vinegar and water worked really well. Looks like I'm going to need to buy more vinegar.

I use vinegar, buy it by the gallon.

I have it in a spray bottle, and after I brush off the surface, I rinse, then wipe down with vinegar, and rinse again. I don't use anything bleachy because I have asthma and since ducks have a reputation for being sensitive to fumes of any sort, I don't want to risk it.

I also sometimes use vinegar with several drops of lavender and rosemary essential oils, which are said to be antibacterial.

Back
Top Bottom