Client trouble... what to do...

I'd send them a somewhat self-deprecatory letter, e.g. "gee, fellas, I;m sorry for the confusion and I'm hoping to make it right. What follows is an example of the calculations I used (as per our contract) to reach the amounts owed to all parties. What follows is an example of my method, illustrated for clarity, if 100 lb-kg/m3...furlongs per fortnight [sorry, can't help myself] had been the total harvest:

Now, simplify the `formulas' completely (maybe pics of little trees/cords of wood/truck/little people figures with different colored hats (you/them). IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE A PAGE FROM A ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MATH BOOK. Give the example for 100 (`easier' to follow).

Now, using the same template, fill in the actual amounts.

Send a third blank/fill-in-the-blank template and ask if they would be so kind as to correct your work and return it to you, in the prepaid envelope you've provided, as soon as possible, so you can provide them an equitable settlement. Make sure you send this by registered/return receipt requested mail (hold onto a copy of what you sent).

Hopeful that they'll smell cash instead of a setup and pencil in something a second grade teacher would cover with red circles (stand in the corner wearing a funny hat... in court). This is as far as I'd go, I'd not waste any more time on them.

In the future: Keep copying your simplified template and append it to your contracts (there is a lot of `dumb' out there). Our Water District quit using percentage calcs X% per 1000 gal. over Y for end-users owing to some bathers drowning in willful stupidity.

As for the legal action threats, they sound like blowhards and shisters hoping you'll cave to threats. Occasionally, like almost any business has, over these many years we have had to deal with a few clients like. Takes all kinds, I guess. Never once have the shisters followed through with their threats of "legal action" because they haven't had any case. As for the physical threats your clients have made, the police and court will be on your side and they can handle it appropriately. I would let them.

Thanks guys you more or less reaffirmed what I was thinking. I sent a letter today and now they will have an opportunity to put their rants to words and I have a feeling it will be difficult for them.

The only thing I may have done is I sold about 140 stems for fish habitat logs to the state but did not amend the contract but I have 2 witnesses from the state that met them and were there to witness their verbal approval to sell them which incidentally was for almost twice what the mill was paying which is another thing they cannot get a grasp on by the way. I have authority to market the logs though in the contract so I am not too worried.

I think it will go away eventually.

I'd send them a somewhat self-deprecatory letter, e.g. "gee, fellas, I;m sorry for the confusion and I'm hoping to make it right. What follows is an example of the calculations I used (as per our contract) to reach the amounts owed to all parties. What follows is an example of my method, illustrated for clarity, if 100 lb-kg/m3...furlongs per fortnight [sorry, can't help myself] had been the total harvest:
Now, simplify the `formulas' completely (maybe pics of little trees/cords of wood/truck/little people figures with different colored hats (you/them). IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE A PAGE FROM A ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MATH BOOK. Give the example for 100 (`easier' to follow).
Now, using the same template, fill in the actual amounts.
Send a third blank/fill-in-the-blank template and ask if they would be so kind as to correct your work and return it to you, in the prepaid envelope you've provided, as soon as possible, so you can provide them an equitable settlement. Make sure you send this by registered/return receipt requested mail (hold onto a copy of what you sent).
Hopeful that they'll smell cash instead of a setup and pencil in something a second grade teacher would cover with red circles (stand in the corner wearing a funny hat... in court). This is as far as I'd go, I'd not waste any more time on them.
In the future: Keep copying your simplified template and append it to your contracts (there is a lot of `dumb' out there). Our Water District quit using percentage calcs X% per 1000 gal. over Y for end-users owing to some bathers drowning in willful stupidity.
This is very tempting... I can be a real smart*** when I need be
tongue2.gif

I was an ER nurse for years and people would threaten to sue me all the time (I need to get my splinter out right now- you put that guy having the heart attack ahead of me) (you can't keep me here, I've only had 2 beers). I'd tell them to take a number and when they get to the paperwork, call me because I wanted to spell my name for them so they'd get the right person.

They call me at least 2 times a day and it goes like this, "You need to call me or I am going to an attorney, going to report you, gonna take away your license... call me or else" of course the letter I sent saying I only will accept correspondences in writing does not mean anything to them.

They call me at least 2 times a day and it goes like this, "You need to call me or I am going to an attorney, going to report you, gonna take away your license... call me or else" of course the letter I sent saying I only will accept correspondences in writing does not mean anything to them.
hey bro i dont know how the laws are up there but here in louisiana we have a law about harrasing phone calls and it is described as any unwanted phone calss that dont stop and on the second offence is a felony, you probably have something close to that in your state also and people with substance abuse issues dont usually like the police coming around so that might work. if i was you i would ignore everything from them and let them make the next move and if they bring you to court let them you are in the right and will win but DO get a lawyer dont go in a courtroom unarmed, and when you win you can make them pay for the lawyer. and when dealing with people like this remember you just cant fix stupid
smack.gif

Ignoring seems to be the best option. Court can be pesky. My grandma owned a trailer park for about 25 years and one of her tenants sued for something completely stupid. Grandma won, court ordered the couple to pay attorney fees and they just skipped town never to be heard from again. I'd try everything to avoid court, when dealing with addicts you can pretty much guarantee you won't see a dime from them. Can't garnish wages when their primary source of income is scrap metal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom