clipped wings and they can't reach the roost??? Help

luckydawn

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
Hello There, I got some chicks this spring and it changed my life. I am a much happier calmer person now...and I spend a lot of time trying make these girls comfortable.

I have 6 light chicks born this spring who keep flying over the fence and making me crazzzzy, so today I clipped wings.(1 each) I also reorganized the house nicely putting in wood ladder for roosts. ( A friend said they would love it). We let them out each evening and when it was time to go in they were hesitating...I also have 6 new hens that are heavy-wyandote, silver lace, speckled...just very heavy and a year older than my girls. So they went in 1st and they can't reach the roosts.. I had another wooden step ladder and another ladder but ...nothing worked. they don't do ladders... eventually I put a wire dog crate in the middle and they jumped onto that and then on to the roost. I went in and lifted a couple onto empty places... this is not going to work...

What is the perfect roost and what height should it be? My roosts are about 5' high. The coop is 8 x 10. They don't love the ladders...thanks for any ideas. I gotta get them settled and do some work!!

My bottom roosts are about a foot off the ground and step up a foot or so to the next, it might take a few days for them to figure things out, but five foot is way too high for a lot of chickens to get up on, light breeds will do okay, but heavier ones won't be able to, nor will ones with clipped wings.

I have a ladder in my run that the girls like to play on. My new hens took a little while to figure it out but now they love it. I think with time your hens will figure out the ladder. Good Luck!

I thought the roosts had to be higher than the nesting boxes. I keep redoing this coop. The new chickens seem to be happy even on the ground but nobody likes the ladders so they're out...They seem to like big branches the best.

I thought the roosts had to be higher than the nesting boxes. I keep redoing this coop. The new chickens seem to be happy even on the ground but nobody likes the ladders so they're out...They seem to like big branches the best.
Give them time to get used to the new stuff....chicken don't like change, it takes patience.

Post a pic of coop and roosts and nests?
Someone might make a good suggestion.

My Hamburg was clipped when I got her (I was unaware). She has yet to roost, sleeps on the wood plank underneath. I will catch her looking longingly at the others on the roost (chook cam) but she can't figure it out. We have just made a ramp from the floor to the perches, hoping she figures that out. Otherwise happy and healthy. Still not laying (no idea how old she is, I am guessing mid 20 weeks).
My 27 wk old NH red also does not roost. Sits on the plank with the Hamburg. She is big but so shy. Is either not allowed up or doesn't want to.
I have to cover the nesting boxes overnight otherwise they will sleep in them.

Back
Top Bottom