Cluck if you are from the San Francisco Bay Area

Hello All! I live in an un-named East Co Co Co city where you are not allowed to have chickens unless your lot is over 1/4 an acre! At least in my neighborhood (a mix of new and older homes) I am in good rebel company with my Australorps, Orpingtons, SLWyandottes, Red Stars, and EE's plus some bantys for the children -- several times a day I hear a rooster from one side of the neighborhood and then the other.
cool.png

One day I'm going to have to take a walk and meet those roos - and their owners! I'm looking to band together and get our ordinance changed
fl.gif

Last edited:
Dear New Mother,

I live in Contra Costa County (El Cerrito), and my city has jumped on the bandwagon at my request to change the Ordinance. Now, the city next door, Albany, after having attended an El Cerrito city meeting, has published an encouragement to their citizens to have backyard chickens.

Also, my city now wants to include miniature goats and beehives. The head of the Environmental Committee who is friends with Supervisor John Gioia, is approaching him about changing the chicken ordinance, Contra Costa County-wide.

All those who want to jump on that bandwagon can feel free to do so.

Linda

Whoa, Linda... That's wonderful news!!! I used to live in El Cerrito, right off of Central Ave. (very close to the 99 Ranch Market) and I remember somebody keeping chickens a few blocks from our apartment complex. I thought it was wonderful. I now live in Hercules, where I know I'm not supposed to be keeping chickens, but thanks to very understanding neighbors, I do (with two roosters, to boot!). After being robbed last year and having the cops out to take a report, I sheepishly asked them, "Uhhh... Will we be in trouble for keeping chickens?" And the police officer laughed and said, "No, not unless your neighbors complain!"

I have had more than one FreeCycler (I think most from the Berkeley area) coming by to pick up stuff and making off-hand remarks like, "Yeah, we had a neighbor whose noisy chickens interfered with our kids' nap times so we complained and put an end to that!" or "I'd have a problem hearing this all day." And you would think that a place like Berkeley would be more supportive of local growers and community efforts towards self-sustenance. Shoot, I'm far more annoyed by the sounds of dogs barking at 2AM and things of that nature.

Anyway, if there is any real progress towards flock-keeping in your area, please keep us posted. I would love to know if I could potentially move back to the El Cerrito/Albany/North & East area and bring the chickens with me.

-Naomi

So here's specifically what's happening in El Cerrito -- the Environmental Advisory Committee is deciding on just what to suggest for the chicken ordinance change, i.e., how many, do they need to be a certain distance from neighbors' property lines, etc. I'm the citizen they ask for input from. That group is headed by Ron Egherman. He is a Contra Costa County resident and friends with Supervisor John Gioia. He wants the ordinance changed for the entire county, and he's also suggesting the change to allow for miniature goats and beehives. Anybody wanting to help change the county ordinance can either start suggesting it to your local County Supervisor and then they will all get the buzz from different areas and people; and say it is in line with the changes that are being made in El Cerrito, the promotion of backyard chickens in Alameda County and nationwide. Richmond already has an open policy. Their ordinance as regards chickens is "whatever is reasonable."

Berkeley has been having lots of backyard chicken keeping classes through the Ecology Center, through Magic Gardens, and through a lot of local chicken owners. It's a wave that can't be stopped. Oakland is running articles on chicken and goat owners, as well as city farmers. Novella Carpenter turned one or two lots in Oakland into a city farm. She's written up everywhere.

Another option is to write me and I'll forward it to Ron Egherman as he's working with John Gioia.

They're even going to let me keep my rooster, because I keep him inside during the a.m. hours when he crows, and because he's not a big crower outside during the rest of the day anyway. Plus all my neighbors love him. My very urban neighborhood is in love with my chickens. They refer to them as "our chickens."

By the way, I love showing my video about training my chickens. I wanted to do it, so that I could keep my rooster, and have control of my chickens as I let them free range in the city. Here's the link in case you want to see it:

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Linda!!!

I'll pass a link to your post above to all my friends and neighbors that have chickens (or want them) in Contra Costa County (and encourage others to do the same)!

Can you post quick info and/or links to contact info for the main peeps involved to make the process of contacting them as easy as possible for all those reading this?

Here's a link for the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors.

http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/index.aspx?nid=193

Each interested person could write an e-mail to their District Supervisor (look on the website to figure out which one that is), and I would suggest sending a copy to Ron Egherman:

[email protected]

Also, any time you see any local news media about backyard chickens, make sure they get a copy of that. Make Really sure that they know the brains of Backyardchickens.com lives in Contra Costa County too.

It's basically networking and the sharing of info that gets the job done.

Linda

Back
Top Bottom