Coated hardware cloth in indoor serama cage?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Would it be okay to have 1x1” pvc coated hardware cloth as the flooring of my indoor cage for a small serama? I prefer not to use bedding because having the floor raised above their poop is more sanitary.

Yes I know that some people say no to wire flooring for their pets, but the hardware cloth is coated with a smooth finish and I don’t think there will be any bumble foot. If the wire was bare then bumble foot could occur. And also my serama likes to perch up on a small dowel, so she is not constantly touching the floor.

This is what I’m planning to use:

24'' x 50' 1inch Hardware Cloth 16 Gauge Black Vinyl Coated Welded Fence Mesh for Home and Garden Fence and Home Improvement Project (24'' x 50') https://a.co/d/eTFQAO2

Any thoughts?

Would it be okay to have 1x1” pvc coated hardware cloth as the flooring of my indoor cage for a small serama? I prefer not to use bedding because having the floor raised above their poop is more sanitary.

Yes I know that some people say no to wire flooring for their pets, but the hardware cloth is coated with a smooth finish and I don’t think there will be any bumble foot. If the wire was bare then bumble foot could occur. And also my serama likes to perch up on a small dowel, so she is not constantly touching the floor.

This is what I’m planning to use:

24'' x 50' 1inch Hardware Cloth 16 Gauge Black Vinyl Coated Welded Fence Mesh for Home and Garden Fence and Home Improvement Project (24'' x 50') https://a.co/d/eTFQAO2

Any thoughts?
Doing something like this caused bumblefoot for three hens and made it somewhat hard to walk. Even worse, two injured their beak and got their toes stuck.

I wouldn’t recommend it but that’s just me.

The way some hardware cloth is manufactured you can have spikes on it, either from the welding process or the galvanizing. Those should all be in the same side so if you put the smooth side up you should be OK. I use 1/2" hardware cloth on my brooder and grow out coop for the reasons you mentioned, the poop goes through and they stay bone dry, even if water spills. I haven't had any foot issues.

I've found with my 1/2" hardware cloth and full sized fowl chicks the poop falls through until they are maybe 12 to 14 weeks old. Then the poop is large enough that it won't fall through. I've never had a Serama but I'd think the 1/2" openings would be large enough.

The way some hardware cloth is manufactured you can have spikes on it, either from the welding process or the galvanizing. Those should all be in the same side so if you put the smooth side up you should be OK. I use 1/2" hardware cloth on my brooder and grow out coop for the reasons you mentioned, the poop goes through and they stay bone dry, even if water spills. I haven't had any foot issues.

I've found with my 1/2" hardware cloth and full sized fowl chicks the poop falls through until they are maybe 12 to 14 weeks old. Then the poop is large enough that it won't fall through. I've never had a Serama but I'd think the 1/2" openings would be large enough.
I’ll stick with 1/2” pvc coated hardware cloth. I think 1” hardware cloth is too large.

Back
Top Bottom